Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Opinions on a 90 350 dually 7.3na.

We as the title says i found a 90 F-350 dually 2wd with a NA 7.3\auto. Apparently it has about 180k on it. bodys solid, frames great, interior is also in pretty good shape. It was\still is a uhaul truck, for sale at the uhaul dealer(apparently nobody wanted the oil burners anymore, theyve got two for sale). But apparently the tranny had just been rebuilt and the motor runs great. its a cab\chassis.
Bottom line i can get it for a grand. worth it? Anything particular i should look for?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like a good deal. As a fleet truck it might of been ran a bit hard and U-Haul is not know for great maintenance. A transmission rebuild is a plus. I would consider getting it checked out by a diesel mechanic. As for a 7.3 N/A motor with 180K it should give you a decent life if it is in good condition. 1000 sounds like a good deal. Is this just a cab chassis or doe sit have to box on it? On an ending not e this truck won't be a really goer.

Yup actually they said they went through the motor whenthetrannywas done as well andits clean so id give it a definite maybe ;) Butyeah just a cab\chassis.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
post a burn out video..
Burn outs save the soul from hell :D thats why I have 2.70 gears in my truck..

NA 7.3 is torque and zero horsepower in a truck..... in any rig with a divorced rear end. Not quite a tractor motor but for the years it was issued stock, it was a stron competitor. By standards of NOW, it's a POS. But a damn reliable and stable foundation for A puller and/pr hauler. Just dont plan on being in a hurry.

Fellro

Staff member
They can be worked with and made to be pretty good. May not be the torque monster of today, but they will still do well. It also depends what it is you want/need the truck to do as to whether it will fit the need. I use a 6.9 to tow my two car goose trailer, and it does it just fine. I may not outrun everyone on the road, but I don't get passed by everyone either. The one thing on a rebuilt 7.3 IDI is what treatment the block got. If it got sleeved, I think I would pass, as there is plenty of issues with 7.3 motors dropping sleeves as the block was never designed for sleeves.

I had a 91 f-350 with the 7.3 n/a that great when I sold it with 285,000 on the clock. check and see when u start it that it does not blow out big clouds of smoke. that might mean it has some blow buy of leaking injectors,But all in all the motor r reliable and u said the tranny was rebuilt for 1g not a bad deal.

Thanks for the ideas and advice guys, its much appreciated. The truck wont get used for a whole lot, the most would be it might pull a horse trailer occasionally or a boat, but nothin to serious.

I guess at this point this is my last question and that is apparently its like 143 inches long, and was told it was like a 350 front with a 450 rear frame? If this is right what are the chances of a dually long bed fitting? If not im not to worried, a flatbed will look just as good and will be easier to shoot some stacks through. lol.

Thanks, Gabe

Fellro

Staff member
A regular box likely won't fit, you would have to shorten the frame or go flatbed.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
hell for a grand id just slap a 5th wheel reciever and build exactly what you would want around it for storage. keep it simple and user friendly and you would be surprised how nice it is to have something custom. jmo tho

hell for a grand id just slap a 5th wheel reciever and build exactly what you would want around it for storage. keep it simple and user friendly and you would be surprised how nice it is to have something custom. jmo tho

Yeah i didnt figure a factory bed would fit, and this is exactly what i was thinking. prolly build it mostly oak and make it look good:beer: . Gotta keep the woman happy and if it aint pretty she aint to happy lol

thanks!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts