Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Old Ford Tractor - photo I took

Ludachris

Staff member
Just wanted to share this photo I took at an orchard we went to this past fall... I don't know much about old tractors like this but I could see myself working on one someday. It just looks cool.

Old Ford Tractor

Fellro

Staff member
I see a lot of 2N, 8N and 9N tractors around here for sale. They actually use old flathead 4 motors in them, and they can scoot. You can put a flathead 8 into them as well. Fords like shown are more purpose built as tractors. That one is more of a utility tractor. It has turf tires on the back to keep from making the deep bar tread marks.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I like old tractors. I cut my driving skills teeth on an 8N and a "poppin' johnny". The 8N was still sitting in the yard when we sold the parents place in 2006. It was split in half waiting for a clutch.

Fellro

Staff member
0803121845.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
This thread kinda planted the idea about pulling the trigger on an 8N. There are quite few around for decent prices and I really don't need a big one for all I need. Been looking closer at them and think thatmay be my best way to go. Lack of attachment points for adding things like a loader is a little bit of a downside, but it is still being done with a multitude of versions, so it is doable. Live hydraulics would be nice, but that is something that has been overcome as well. I need something for quick plowing snow, occasional mowing and grading my lane. I have my dad's tractors for bigger use, but would be handy to have something smaller. Last winter was rough on the equipment - diesels and cold starts are not a good combination. Burned out the glow plugs on my 6.9, fought with the tractor hydraulics and cold starts so have been looking at either putting a plow on one of the trucks or getting a tractor. Was wanting to go gas for cost and cold weather starting. Started looking more at the N Ford tractors and think they may be fun to work with and price isn't bad at all.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks like parts are fairly easy to find. I think I remember seeing a huge tractor salvage yard somewhere in South Dakota. I drove the successor to the 8N for several years doing orchard maintenance for the neighbor. I liked it also. It was a little more adaptable and rugged.

Ludachris

Staff member
I need to learn more about these older tractors. My issue is that my property isn't all that big. It's just over an acre, which makes the decision to get a tractor pretty tough. I don't know that I'll need it or use it all that often, but boy would it be nice to have in those situations where I do need it. I was looking at the new "compact" tractors, but they're really pricey and haven't been around that long to find many used models.

Fellro

Staff member
Looks like parts are fairly easy to find. I think I remember seeing a huge tractor salvage yard somewhere in South Dakota. I drove the successor to the 8N for several years doing orchard maintenance for the neighbor. I liked it also. It was a little more adaptable and rugged.
Meyers Salvage in South Dakota, then I have a place about an hour from me that also does salvage, among several others I deal with. The N tractors are well supported. There is also a Jubilee available locally, whch followed the 8N. Nice thing with these little N tractors is that don't need a heavy trailer for them. They also have overdrive, so they can scoot down the road nicely. The one I went ahead and contacted about but waiting to hear back from is asking $2000 for the 8N, rear blade, scraper box, lift forks, and tire chains which are important here in snow country. The local prices are $1000 to $5000 in varying conditions. All are running. Some have loaders on them as well.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Someday id like to have a ford tractor.

Fellro

Staff member
So I ended up picking up a 1946 2N. I see it is marking it's territory already... looks to be a rear main leak. Runs real smooth though.

My 2N.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
It will take a bit to get used to the pedal arrangement having always had the pedals forward instead of behind my feet...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
My first experience with right brake/left brake was a 180 deg eye opener. I didn't realize there were THREE brake pedals.

Fellro

Staff member
The 8N put the brakes on the same side. I guess if you have to apply both brakes have to kick it into neutral or catch the edge of both brake and clutch pedals... Also didn't reaalize the pto has to be engaged for the 3 point to work. I knew the clutch has to be engaged for the pto, just surprised me on the 3 point.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I like old tractors. I cut my driving skills teeth on an 8N and a "poppin' johnny". The 8N was still sitting in the yard when we sold the parents place in 2006. It was split in half waiting for a clutch.
It's all fun and games until the steering wheel breaks your thumb 😂 miserable old manual steering

This thread kinda planted the idea about pulling the trigger on an 8N. There are quite few around for decent prices and I really don't need a big one for all I need. Been looking closer at them and think thatmay be my best way to go. Lack of attachment points for adding things like a loader is a little bit of a downside, but it is still being done with a multitude of versions, so it is doable. Live hydraulics would be nice, but that is something that has been overcome as well. I need something for quick plowing snow, occasional mowing and grading my lane. I have my dad's tractors for bigger use, but would be handy to have something smaller. Last winter was rough on the equipment - diesels and cold starts are not a good combination. Burned out the glow plugs on my 6.9, fought with the tractor hydraulics and cold starts so have been looking at either putting a plow on one of the trucks or getting a tractor. Was wanting to go gas for cost and cold weather starting. Started looking more at the N Ford tractors and think they may be fun to work with and price isn't bad at all.
I'd pass on those 1st old Ford tractor 8N 9N 2N ..
i'D GET ONE OF THE 600 SERIES OR 800'S or Even the 2000.. 3000... or 4000 series ..
The later ones for the same money. most of the time. But you can set up to live PTO's ..Power Steering ...5 speeds trans instead of 3 speeds.. Hydraulics.. 2 stage clutches .
Bigger motors & We all like More Power... 12 VOLTS SYSTEMS... HECK EVEN A SEAT WITH A CUSHION..

Fellro

Staff member
Price pretty much isn't equal around here, the N series can be had for $1500 or less typically. The newer 600's more than double that. I did pick up a runing fully functional 2N for $1350. I definitly miss the live PTO and hydraulics, but it does what I really needed it for, running a blade for snow removal and leveling the lane. I will have to find a smaller mower as it can't handle the 6 or 7' bush hog I have from use on larger tractors. Had to get the 966 out to do that.

Ford Truck Articles