Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil Change Today

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
This was supposed to be a new thread:

A few weeks ago I posted the picture of my Ranger turning over 150K miles. Today, I changed the oil in it, and thought it was
interesting to see the color of the oil (at 3877 miles), and how much it has consumed. In the pictures, the screwdriver shows
where the oil level was the last time it was changed, using 4.5 QUARTS. There has been no oil added since it was
changed. I bought the truck with 36K miles on it, and since owning it, I've always maintained it myself, using the following:

1) Motorcraft or Purolator PAPER air filters (changed once a year)
2) ONLY Motorcraft oil filters, changed every oil change
2) Castrol GTX 5W30 (dino), changed between 3K and 4K miles

268857471_mYoo2-X2.jpg

268857445_MyzrX-X2.jpg

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It's amazing what proper service and quality products do for a vehicle. Those pics should be included in service manuals.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wow, looks good Bob YelloThumbUp

And wouldn't you know that a even a boring task such as changing oil can look glamorous when Bob Ayers takes the photos, LOL! The detail in those pictures is amazing.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Wow... that much oil consumed in less than 4,000 miles!!!

Yikes... that looks like too much oil loss to me???

How come you did not fill the oil up to the "MAX" level... it appears you stopped 1/2 way into the hash marks?

I always fill to the MAX mark and then keep an eye on it. Obviously some oil loss due to a high mileage motor is common, but sis this just start happening????

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
a truck with 225k miles eats about a quart a month. But it has a bad valve seal. smokes just a bit right after start up.

i fill mine about 3/4 way between min and max.

Just something i do.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC

How come you did not fill the oil up to the "MAX" level... it appears you stopped 1/2 way into the hash marks?

I always fill to the MAX mark and then keep an eye on it. Obviously some oil loss due to a high mileage motor is common, but sis this just start happening????

The oil capacity is 4.5 quarts, which puts the oil level in the middle of the MIN and MAX marks on the oil stick. MIN and MAX are not the same as the
old ADD and FULL marks. FULL is between the MIN and MAX marks.

98882331_ZvNBx-L.jpg

The small drop has been the same since 36K miles, it hasn't increased at all.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Bob,

Funny thing is that doing a search on the net, I see where some state yoru motor takes 4.5qts or 5.0 qts... and some even say that they can fill with 5.5qts and just make it to the MAX/full mark.

Wonder why the descrepencey? Wonder if 5.0qts would get you to the full mark and all would be well? Wonder if the dip-stick was make incorrectly and is too short?

Interesting... gives you something to check into on Monday...smiliegitrdone

believe it or not I had a 78 351 called for 6 qts-and showed full at 6-if I put in 6 the 1st quart would be blown off in less than a week and run at that level till the next oil change-it was in a E150-my uncle had a truck at his work f150 same motor would do the exact same thing-really wierd

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
believe it or not I had a 78 351 called for 6 qts-and showed full at 6-if I put in 6 the 1st quart would be blown off in less than a week and run at that level till the next oil change-it was in a E150-my uncle had a truck at his work f150 same motor would do the exact same thing-really wierd

What's really wierd.... your uncle or the truck????:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts