Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil Change - Scheduled Interval (What to do)??

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is my problem..... (he, he)...

As you all know, I change my Rotella-Syn oil and filter every 5,000 miles without fail. However, I am going a trip with the family from KC to San Diego on SUnday for 1 week and midway back home I will be due for an oil change!!!

It's too soon to change prior to leaving for my trip and I will be 800 miles over (according to Yahoo maps mileage calculation) when I get back home.

What is a guy to do... my truck has never been mistreated like this before... it will probably be pissed at me and throw an injector at me to get even!!!

Options I have...

1) Change oil and filter in the middle of I-70 on my way back home (wonder if highway patrol will help)?

2) Do nothing and change oil after getting back home?

3) Hug my truck and tell her I am sorry I let her go with dirty oil for an extra 800 miles?

Wow... I have never gone past 5,000 miles... this will be a first for me and my truck!!!!!!

Good thing I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and change well below the manufacture's mileage intervals.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

p.s. - It is also my Birthday on Christmas day... if you would like to get me anything, a couple gallons of Rotella-Syn 5W-40 (CJ4) would be great as I will need 4 gallons upon getting back home.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Changing your oil far from home SUCKS.

Do it before you go, unless you're visiting friends/relatives who might have a garage you could borrow.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Leave Sunday and hope to get to Denver Sunday evening (10 - 11 hours).

Drive from Denver to Las Vegas on Monday and visit Lost Wages/Las Vegas Monday evening (11 hours drive time).

Drive from Las Vegas to San Clemente Tuesday morning.

My family and I are using my dad's place in San Clemente, Ca and our daughter lives & works in San Diego. Hope to spend time visiting the beach, navy ships, Ronald Reagon library in Simi Valley and so on.....

Dam... we got 4 inches of snow here in KC and the temps are 10F before windchill!!!! I am so ready for Southern California!!!!!

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well this week SOCAL is getting it's first winter storm, which basically is rain and chilly weather but probably still better then KC. I thik the rain is supposed to last out this week though and then clear.

If ya think your gonna have a few free minutes one day let me know. I'm about 50 miles from San Clemente..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
change it before you go.. better early than late

Here is my problem..... (he, he)...

As you all know, I change my Rotella-Syn oil and filter every 5,000 miles without fail. However, I am going a trip with the family from KC to San Diego on SUnday for 1 week and midway back home I will be due for an oil change!!!

It's too soon to change prior to leaving for my trip and I will be 800 miles over (according to Yahoo maps mileage calculation) when I get back home.

What is a guy to do... my truck has never been mistreated like this before... it will probably be pissed at me and throw an injector at me to get even!!!

Options I have...

1) Change oil and filter in the middle of I-70 on my way back home (wonder if highway patrol will help)?

2) Do nothing and change oil after getting back home?

3) Hug my truck and tell her I am sorry I let her go with dirty oil for an extra 800 miles?

Wow... I have never gone past 5,000 miles... this will be a first for me and my truck!!!!!!

Good thing I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and change well below the manufacture's mileage intervals.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

p.s. - It is also my Birthday on Christmas day... if you would like to get me anything, a couple gallons of Rotella-Syn 5W-40 (CJ4) would be great as I will need 4 gallons upon getting back home.

You said it yourself, I'd change it after.

i'd change it before i left.

what if you brought your own oil and filter with you. would you trust a quick-lube to just do the drain/fill with your oil? should be quick/easy and you know you'll have good stuff in there.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Better late then Never I all ways say :D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Do it when your there....

Go through, a whole oil change doing EVERYTHING you would normally do, then see what tools and supplies you need. Then do it when your in cali....

Or since you change well before manufactuer specs, do it when you get home.

One more option, maybe drain a quart or 3 and refill with fresh oil...
Before you leave?

Loosen the plug but dont pull it all the way out...

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
where abouts in kc?

Desoto... that's Johnson County you know?????

Do you know where the McDonald's is on K-10 going to Lawrence... that's DeSoto.

Beach what does you OIL report say. they tell me that I could go to 6K before oil change. I would wait till I got back for 800 miles. I lived in San Diego went to high school there in 1972 nice placed to visit. To many poeple there now. Have fun

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach what does you OIL report say. they tell me that I could go to 6K before oil change. I would wait till I got back for 800 miles. I lived in San Diego went to high school there in 1972 nice placed to visit. To many poeple there now. Have fun

My oil reports come back fine every time, so I am not worried. I re-calculated and I will be about 1,000 miles or so over the 5,000 interval mark, but I will just wait until I get home.

I'm not worried... but this is a "first" for me and my truck!!!

At least all the driving is highway driving which is easy on the motor and oil. Using Rotella-Syn, Racor filters and a Racor by-pass filter... I have all the faith in the world I will be fine.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Yes, I am familiar with Desoto. I have some family that live there. We are on the missouri side though!

OK... so I have to ask... who is the women in your Avatar????

Ford Truck Articles