Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil Change Intervals

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Don't know if anyones seen this yet but here it is. How do you like that 2500 mile oil changes..... That gets expensive.

DIESEL ENGINES USING CJ-4 OIL AND LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL - NEEDS MORE FREQUENT OIL CHANGE INTERVAL
ON ALL MODEL YEAR DIESELS, OIL CHANGE INTERVALS NEED TO BE REDUCED BY HALF WHEN USING CJ-4 OIL AND LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL (500 PPM SULFUR MAXIMUM), OR ANY DIESEL FUEL CONTAINING GREATER THAN 15 PPM SULFUR. WHEN CJ-4 OIL AND FUELS CONTAINING GREATER THAN 15 PPM SULFUR ARE USED, THE OIL DEGRADES AT A FASTER RATE DUE TO INCREASED ACID LEVELS REQUIRING A SHORTENED OIL CHANGE INTERVAL.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Change my oil every 3000 miles anyway.............

And I always get it changed at the Ford house :)

Gunner

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well I used to do the 7000 mile thing . In 89 Ford had that. I got 150000 + out of 5 trucks 1 with 210000 miles at sale. I go 3500 now . At 500 + miles a week I'd have to change oil every 6 weeks (or less) So I get at least 2 months beween changes . Oil is still
almost clear after those miles.

As for the newer CJ-4 stuff. Not a clue. But I know a local Natural well company does the 5000 mile change thing On their new trucks and they r not easy on trucks . But they have had no major engine issues.

Last edited:

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I do mine every 3K , I drive it hard and it leaks some out of the rear main or pan, don't know which yet.
Doesn't the diesel's take more oil than a gasser , if so how much?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
My 6.0 takes 15 quarts

Gunner

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Thats alot of oil, I can see why it can get expensive if you have to do it twice as much.
Gonna get yelled at for this:
How about Amsoil? lol

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Thats a big no can do on the Amsol. Please figure for 30 knots and recompute.

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
You asked a guy that drills oil wells if he uses Amsol?

Thats sort of like asking a sugar plantation owner where he keeps his Sweet 'n Low. :D

Gunner

If I read D-Kuzman's post correctly, it only applied if you use CJ-4 motor oil, which I do use (Shell 5w40 synthetic), and use low sulpher diesel (500 ppm) fuel, oil change intervals should be cut in half. Since Ford recomends the oil change interval of the 6.0 to be every 7500 miles, they're saying to change oil every 3750 miles. BUT,..... I don't even know where to go to buy low sulpher fuel around here since the whole state of Missouri is mandated to sell ULTRA low sulpher diesel fuel (15 ppm). So the way I read that, it doesn't apply to me and I can continue to do my self imposed 5000 mile interval oil changes...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Expanding on all of that, the technology of todays engines require watching for contaminates and things that just wasnt much of a concern years ago. The close tolerances of the engines internals create moisture, and acids at a different rate than the older engines. They can be much more destructive than before. So, with all the talk of ccv modifications, egr modifications, injector timing, and electronic programming modifications, what are you really doing?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
If I read D-Kuzman's post correctly, it only applied if you use CJ-4 motor oil, which I do use (Shell 5w40 synthetic), and use low sulpher diesel (500 ppm) fuel, oil change intervals should be cut in half. Since Ford recomends the oil change interval of the 6.0 to be every 7500 miles, they're saying to change oil every 3750 miles. BUT,..... I don't even know where to go to buy low sulpher fuel around here since the whole state of Missouri is mandated to sell ULTRA low sulpher diesel fuel (15 ppm). So the way I read that, it doesn't apply to me and I can continue to do my self imposed 5000 mile interval oil changes...

We still have low sulpher fuel here. Well have our customers come in every 5000 miles normal driving or 3000 miles on the work trucks, I can't imagine happy people when we recomend cuting that in half..:guns:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Expanding on all of that, the technology of todays engines require watching for contaminates and things that just wasnt much of a concern years ago. The close tolerances of the engines internals create moisture, and acids at a different rate than the older engines. They can be much more destructive than before. So, with all the talk of ccv modifications, egr modifications, injector timing, and electronic programming modifications, what are you really doing?

smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I saw a big block Chevrolet that threw a rear seal because that freind of mine that had it was changing the oil ever 1000 miles (because he was an idiot)

The rear seal never got cooked hot enough to set it in place...........

The rest is history ;)

Gunner

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Just for the record, Shell Syn 5W-40 is CI4+ rated and not CJ4 rated as you wrote above.

Most outlets only sell the new ULSD, but if someone is using the newer CJ4 oil, then they just need to look at the pump lables and only buy the newer ULSD fuel and not the older 500ppm LSD fuel.

The new diesel fuel (15ppm) has less smoking, less soot and the EGR valve and the EGR system stays cleaner!!!

Ford Truck Articles