Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No start condition???

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Dear Forum Resident Technicians,

My son's 2001 F250 7.3L PSD truck has an intermittent "no-start" condition.

1) Batteries were checked and each was loaded tested (both passed).

2) Uses 5W-40 Rotella-Syn motor oil and MC oil filter.

3) Uses PowerService anti-gel in every tank

4) Uses only Racor fuel filters
-------------------------------------

When he turns the key, there is a "click" and that it is it. There is no moan, groan, or even the hint of the starter engaging. Just a click as though a dead battery... but it is not.

If he tries several times, then it MAY start. He was also told to wiggle the solonoid on the passenger side (near the vacume pump) as there is a starter relay or something there????

Are there two solenoids for this motor... one for the starter and one for the glow plugs? How do we figure out which one it is?

I hear the "click" but nothing when he tries and starts with the hood open? Is there a relay on the fender wall next to the vacuum pump that would cause this "no start" condition????

Please advise the part name and part number if this is the issue so I can look up pricing for the part on-line.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
06-19-14 NO CRANK / STARTER TERMINAL FATIGUE

Publication Date: September 18, 2006

FORD: 1997-2007 Crown Victoria
1997-2004 F-150 Heritage
1997-2006 Expedition
1998-2006 E-Series
1999-2006 F-Super Duty
2002-2007 Explorer
2004-2006 F-150
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
LINCOLN: 1998-2006 Navigator
2003-2005 Aviator
MERCURY: 1997-2007 Grand Marquis
2002-2007 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit a no crank condition due to an open circuit in the starter relay to starter motor circuit at the starter motor connection.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

A new starter terminal wiring pigtail kit is released eliminating the need to replace the entire harness for the terminal connection.

NOTE: TERMINAL KIT ONLY SERVICES THE STARTER RELAY TO STARTER MOTOR CIRCUIT. THE KIT DOES NOT SERVICE STARTER MOTOR BATTERY POWER CIRCUIT.

Refer to instruction sheet contained in Wiring Pigtail Kit for wiring harness service procedure.

NOTE: REFERENCE THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL SERVICE SECTION 303-06 FOR REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF THE STARTER MOTOR WIRING TERMINAL CONNECTION PROCEDURES.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6U2Z-14S411-NA Wiring Pigtail Kit

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Vince,

Do you have any photo's or technical manuals you can forward (so I know what I am doing)?

How does one know if this is the actual problem as it is intermittent... or is this just a good place to start?

Thanks as always,

Jeff

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Vince,

Follow-up question....

1) One time in the last 3 weeks this happened again.

2) Turn key, wait for glow plugs, then "click". Nothing turn over... just a "click"... like a dead battery but it is not.

3) After a few tries, it will start and keep working for several weeks.

4) If my son just turns the key to start (WITHOUT WAITING FOR GLOW PLUGS)... the truck starts right up every time (on daily basis, not when it is acting up).

How do we (or our mechanic) diagnose this problem since it is intermittant? Is it the starter relay, the glow plug relay, the starter, the starter wiring harness you noted above???????

How would our mechanic even know where to start if it is not happening right now to my son's truck?

Thanks,

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince,

Follow-up question....

1) One time in the last 3 weeks this happened again.

2) Turn key, wait for glow plugs, then "click". Nothing turn over... just a "click"... like a dead battery but it is not.

3) After a few tries, it will start and keep working for several weeks.

4) If my son just turns the key to start (WITHOUT WAITING FOR GLOW PLUGS)... the truck starts right up every time (on daily basis, not when it is acting up).

How do we (or our mechanic) diagnose this problem since it is intermittant? Is it the starter relay, the glow plug relay, the starter, the starter wiring harness you noted above???????

How would our mechanic even know where to start if it is not happening right now to my son's truck?

Thanks,
I'd be looking in the area of the starter electrical connections. One time it starts, the sparks (weld) the terminals onto the starter. Vibration breaks the (welds) loose, then no start.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
After working so well for months (there might be a day here and there that it would not start)... my son's truck finally would NOT start.

Had it towed to dealer and they found it to be a bad starter and nothing else. $468 dollars later (parts, labor, suppliers and tax)... and all is well.

Guess the starter finally had enough and decided to go the "starter graveyard in the sky".

Thanks for the help guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts