Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New TSB For 6.0L Motors - New Calibrations

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Can one of our residant Ford tech's please post the full TSB associated with the TSB mentioned below (was told it was released on or around 11/20/09) and what it corrects or changes.

TSB 09-24-3 6.0L DIESEL CALIBRATION UPDATE

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2010 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product protection strategy enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The transmission control module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

CALIBRATION CONTENT

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high engine oil temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Remember, the IDS must be updated to 63-13, or 64-1 because the updated flash wont be there in other software levels.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Remember, the IDS must be updated to 63-13, or 64-1 because the updated flash wont be there in other software levels.

Vince,

Do all 6.0L equiped vehicles get all of the same "updates" or just those listed for their specific model year and make?

For example, if my truck is a 2003 Excursion, am I going to get the update that allows for the CEL to come on if the coolant and oil temps are more than X-degrees different/apart?

I ask, becuase I see different model years and makes listed for certain "updates"... and I was assuming that all 6.0L motors work the same and would benefit from the updated programming?

Hoping I can go to my local/friendly dealer and see if they will update my computer as a "favor" since I was just in there (in the last 5,000 miles) for my HFCM/fuel pump, transmission temp sensor and my front hub/bearings.... gosh... it's the least they could do since I feel like I made their lease payments last month (ha, ha).

Never hurts to ask... and hopefully my good relationship with them for 6 years will pay off as it has in the past.

Thanks,

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Differences in years/models determine what "course of action" to take, as far as a reflash. Remember, the 03 and early 04 with the ebp inferred calculation. Different flashes will take into account these different requirements, and make the proper adjustments to keep prior flashes intact.

Vince,

Do all 6.0L equiped vehicles get all of the same "updates" or just those listed for their specific model year and make?

For example, if my truck is a 2003 Excursion, am I going to get the update that allows for the CEL to come on if the coolant and oil temps are more than X-degrees different/apart?

I ask, becuase I see different model years and makes listed for certain "updates"... and I was assuming that all 6.0L motors work the same and would benefit from the updated programming?

Hoping I can go to my local/friendly dealer and see if they will update my computer as a "favor" since I was just in there (in the last 5,000 miles) for my HFCM/fuel pump, transmission temp sensor and my front hub/bearings.... gosh... it's the least they could do since I feel like I made their lease payments last month (ha, ha).

Never hurts to ask... and hopefully my good relationship with them for 6 years will pay off as it has in the past.

Thanks,

Beach,
How many miles on your truck now. My 03 F350 only has 59,000. Just curious what I have to look forward to.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I get that p0404 code every once in a while and I'll have a lack of power, but then it goes away for weeks or even months between it happening again.

It usually happens after towing heavy (the bronco) at highway speeds (anywhere from 70-95 depending on where/when/etc) for a long period of time (like the hour drive from here to South Carolina for instance). It has happened while at work too (runs for approx 5 hrs straight, idling and making local deliveries - city style driving). I thought it was the turbo vanes gumming up the last time it happened and I just rode it hard for a little while to try to "clean it out" but it didn't seem to help..

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Vince,
The TSB # 09-24-3 means that it was released in 2009 correct? In other words that is why the message is applicable to MY 03-07. I know I am probably stating the obvious here but I am pretty sure that my 07 does not have this flash from the factory and was considering having it performed.

Thanks,
JR

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince,
The TSB # 09-24-3 means that it was released in 2009 correct? In other words that is why the message is applicable to MY 03-07. I know I am probably stating the obvious here but I am pretty sure that my 07 does not have this flash from the factory and was considering having it performed.

Thanks,
JR
Yep! the first number is the year it was released.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just to update my post incase anyone was wondering, it turned out to be a couple of injectors. I am now getting a check engline light for ICP? Acting like it needs injectors again (the same as the first time I posted up, but it was fixed and running well for a few months anyway)
Its not unusual to replace 2 injectors, then 2 more, then 2 more. Make sure you check fuel pressure (no less than 45 psi at WOT under load). Poor fuel pressure can kill injectors.

Ford Truck Articles