Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need Help w/ Front End 'Pop'

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Double check your radius arm bushings put a prybar between the bar and the frame, shouldn't be much movement, the drive side usually wears first, check the gap between the washer and the frame make sure theres no signs of it touching the frame, also check the swaybar bushings the bolt to the frame and the ones pressed into the arms. Tell the dealer to install the chasis ears on it. I would also recomend looking at the body mounts, make sure there all there and tight. Also check the steering box bolts and steering shaft.

Last edited:
Double check your radius arm bushings put a prybar between the bar and the frame, shouldn't be much movement, the drive side usually wears first, check the gap between the washer and the frame make sure theres no signs of it touching the frame, also check the swaybar bushings the bolt to the frame and the ones pressed into the arms. Tell the dealer to install the chasis ears on it. I would also recomend looking at the body mounts, make sure there all there and tight. Also check the steering box bolts and steering shaft.

Thanks. Will do.

The front end popping is finally fixed on my van. What a relief - not I don't dread accelerating or turning corners anymore...

Here's what I did:
Replaced the ball joints - the noise was still there
Checked the body/chassis bolts - they were tight.
Removed the sway bar - the noise was still there.
Replaced the radius arm bushings - the noise was still there.
Replaced the front wheel bearings/races - the noise was still there.
Took the motor cover off inside the van to get a good feel for where the noise originated. The popping was the same with and without the motor cover but I realized that the noise did not result from suspension movement, but rather from torque and it was way forward...in front of the axles.
I looked again at the chassis to body bolts and discovered that there is one on each side at the very front of the engine compartment - these are a smaller size than the others and not visible from below.
1/3 turn on the passenger side and 2/3's turn on the drivers side and the popping is gone.

You would have thought 1 of the 3 Ford dealers I took it to would have a mechanic who would put a wrench on those bolts. One shop looked at it twice, admitted it was making noise, but couldn't find/fix it.

These were tight (notice new radius arm bushing and bracket).
DSCI0245.jpg

These two, only accessible from inside the engine compartment, are the ones that were loose.
Drivers side - have to move reservoir out of the way to get to it.
DSCI0250.jpg

Passengers side
DSCI0247.jpg

I needed a 2 foot extension to get down there...

Oh, by the way. I got all my parts from fordtruckpartsguy.com with logo and hot link at the top of this page. I'll never shop for parts at my local dealer again.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ah yes the frontmost body bushing bolts at the sides of the radiator. I helped my brother replace his so I'm familiar with the locations. I'll check mine asap cuz I've got the same pop. Thanks a lot Jeff! And thanks for taking pics for me :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts