Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My first bad experience with a Motorcraft Oil Filter

Did the oil change on my Thunderbird like usual, drained the oil, took the old filter off, threw a new one on. Put my 5.3 qts of oil in (such a pain to measure that last .3 qts, I'm so OCD about stuff like that :rofl:)

Started my car, noticed my oil pressure wasn't quite as high as it usually is, so I drove it around the block to warm it up a bit to see if there was a difference...ran pretty normal. Get back to my garage, left my car running while I went to get a drink of water, come back...and there was an oily mess on my garage floor :headbang:

Turns out the filter was slightly bent and the gasket wasn't fitting right! :headbang: Lost a little over 2 qts. of oil total, what a mess!

Luckily my little bro was home and I borrowed his car to get to the autoparts store to get a new filter and some oil. YelloThumbUp

Overall I'm mad at myself for not noticing the defective filter, it tighted up fine but I shoulda noticed some curvature (I shoulda taken a picture of it too! :headbang:) Spent over an hour cleaning my dad's garage floor :rofl: Lesson learned I guess.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Ah well, human error has to be expected sometimes. We're not perfect, everyone other than me anyways. Lol. :D

Fellro

Staff member
That is a good case for always checking to see if you have any leaks at the filter before you call it a day... habit. I always double check so that I can be assured everything is fine.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Happens often at work, usually the oil change guys don't notice the old oring was still stuck on the engine.. 2 orings just don't cut it...

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i had a motorcraft filter cause a no oil pressure issue on a 3.0 taurus. brand new filter right out the box at work.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
That's why they say start the engine and check for leaks. I had one lose the rubber gasket when I was putting it on. Blew about a quart and a half out before I could turn it off.

That is a good case for always checking to see if you have any leaks at the filter before you call it a day... habit. I always double check so that I can be assured everything is fine.

smiliewhathesaid Always run them for a while (watching under the car) before driving one.

Happens often at work, usually the oil change guys don't notice the old oring was still stuck on the engine.. 2 orings just don't cut it...

Seen that happen a couple of times. I always check to see that the block is clean before installing the new filter. So far...I have been lucky. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts