Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 78 SC build/question thread

Since I have lots of questions I'm gonna start my own thread to keep any clutter out of the other threads. I'll start from the beginning...

This is the 1978 F150 SC 4X4 I started with. It had some pretty bad rust in the cab
1291570572.jpg

So I bought a donor. 1975 F100 SC 2X4 with a decent cab and interior
1293749577.jpg

Me and my Dad swapped the cabs and now the truck looks like this
1294027191.jpg

More pictures to come and a LOT of questions...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
So far so good! I've got my sight set on a super cab in the future.

Question #1: The back quarter windows in a SC are pop outs in my truck and I'd like to take them out and swap them for non pop outs or at least swap them out for a better set I have. How Do I get the hinges out of my cab without breaking something? Also, after I get them out and put in non pop outs will the window gasket cover the two hinge holes?

My next question is about the heater assembly. It's a mess and now is not the time of year to ignore it since it's pretty cold outside. Anyone have a diagram or even info about wire color/combos? Vacuum line info would be great as well. The plug on the back of my blower switch on the panel melted. I took the plug itself off the donors wiring harness but there were no colors to check. I've tried all kinds of combos and it's not working.

The back of the switch is a 4 blade male plug if I remember correctly. Two up top that are side by side, one below those two and a single blade (or prong) below that one but turned in a different direction. Any info would be great.

New question: Why don't SC's have coil springs? Mine only has front leafs...

I've been scratching my head about this and cant seem to make heads or tails of it.

I've been scratching my head about this and cant seem to make heads or tails of it.

only thing i can think of is that the ex-cab would put more weight over the front axle, not to mention the extra weight of the extra passengers.....leafs handle weight better than coils.....maybe?

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member

fords version..called/referred to as a Y200 suspension..1/2 ton 5 lug rotors/spindles/single piston disc brake calipers...w/ 3/4 ton axle/suspension..be grateful...an easy upgrade to 8 lug 3/4 ton , just swap out the spindles out and instant upgrade..ANOTHER... major difference the s/c frame is taller than the conventional 4wd p/u

Ahhh... stupid question: By "lug" you mean wheel studs right? What's the upside to swapping 5 lug for 8 lug? Simply stronger due to more lugs? Does the 3/4 ton caliper have more pistons? I'm going to have to tackle the brakes soon and dont want to fight the same monster twice if I can just do it right the first time! :D

Thanks for the reply everyone!

1979Airconditioningschematic.jpg

ACHeatervacuumHosehookup.jpg

ACsystemfor75exploded.jpg

ACschematic1.jpg

Click image several times to enlarge

Oh and where in the heck does one find SC floor pans? I've looked everywhere and nobody has them!! The front pans are easy enough to find but the rear? No dice! You just have to fab your own?

Yes you do, that's all one can do right now

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
Ahhh... stupid question: By "lug" you mean wheel studs right? What's the upside to swapping 5 lug for 8 lug? Simply stronger due to more lugs? Does the 3/4 ton caliper have more pistons? I'm going to have to tackle the brakes soon and dont want to fight the same monster twice if I can just do it right the first time! :D

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Dennis you want to answer this one?
from what I understand, larger wheel bearings which can handle more weight 2 caliper disc brake pistons instead of 1 and 8 lug nut/studs instead of 5...that is per side..:)

I would suggest that there are several reason for the difference

8 Bolt wheels would have less flex in them and withstand a higher torque output.

Got it. Thanks for the help fellas! You all have saved me from learning the hard way and saved a bunch of knuckle busting!!

From what I've read I think I'll be doing a total brake rebuild on this truck. Booster and MC, wheel cylinders and calipers. I dont know about doing the 3/4 upgrade since I'd have to buy new wheels.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1973/79 F250 2WD: Some have SINGLE piston calipers, some have DUAL piston calipers, as it depends on the GVW.

What are the little plastic keepers that hold the rods in the tailgate to the latch itself? I got some universal type ones at AZ and they worked for about 10 min about the third time I pulled the latch to open my tailgate.

Any tips, tricks, or fixes?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts