Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my 4.9l is cursed

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
ill be danged if i ever buy n e thing w less than 8 cylinders again i tell ya what. my 4.9 has givven me nothing but trouble, i cant take it for long distances or count on it to get me anywhere because its left me stranded on multiple occaisions. ive checked for blown head gasket, and thats fine, ive got to get my harmonic balancer cleaned up so i can see the markings to check the timing, because i have zero power, it runs EXTREMELY hot and the idle is too high, i think its slowly working itself farther and farther out of timing. and today on the way home (after having to replace the upper radiator hose and wait for it to cool off again, the check engine light came on a couple times but it would go away after a couple minutes, and i couldnt get it over 55mph, and when i slowed to about 20 mph to turn itd try to choke out and die and id lose all oil pressure. do i sound like im on the right track as far as timing goes?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Some of those symptoms sound like it could be the timing. Honestly, when I've jumped time, I've never been able to break 20mph though. The oil psi dropping doesn't really fit the profile, unless some debris fell in the pan and is getting sucked up. And like I said, the speed doesn't jive with me...but throw a gun on there and see what you got.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I remember when my dad lost his timing gears in his truck the timing jumped and the truck wouldn't even start.Don't give up on the 300 man,they're awesome motors.Unfortunately,if a vehicle isn't taken care of correctly by a P.O.,they're sometimes doomed to problems down the road.It happens to alot of people.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
im thinkin when these guys rebuilt this 4.9 they didnt check the timing once they got it all hooked up, and its slowly worked itself out, id hate to do it to a ford but if i could make it convincingly look like an accident id burn it down in the drive way

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
no the light only came on a couple times while i was driving, n it was only on for about a minute, i wasnt concentrating on the light i was concentrating on gettn it home...and since then its condition has gotten worse, i tried to drive it to work yesterday, i got about 4 miles down the road and started losin power and the engine began to make a tickin sound and i pulled over n ut cut out and died, HOTTER 'N HELL so hot that it fried the battery completely and i could hear the battery bubbling, and steam was coming off the block n valve cover, not thick clouds but it was still comin up

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts