Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Low Oil Pressure?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My mechanic was a tad concerned that the oil pressure was low....

1) Is it too low below for 35-60mph driving pics/video?
2) Is it too low for idel below?
3) He said it may be the oil pump? Is that hard to change?

driving 60 mph:

60_mph_factory.jpg

60_mph_aftermarket2.jpg

idle:

idle_aftermarket1.jpg

idle_factory.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yeah, I wouldn't be running it a whole bunch like that.
Could be other things, but oil pump is a start

Do you hear any ticking or rattling at idle?

Oil pump is rais motor, pull pan, pull pump, replace. Not as easy as I made it sound....
You should pull some bearings and see how they look, rod and main. Plastiguage isn't a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yeah, I wouldn't be running it a whole bunch like that.
Could be other things, but oil pump is a start

Do you hear any ticking or rattling at idle?

Oil pump is rais motor, pull pan, pull pump, replace. Not as easy as I made it sound....
You should pull some bearings and see how they look, rod and main. Plastiguage isn't a bad idea.

Thanks....ugh....my mechanic thought it might be the pump.

Truck never got to 200 the entire time and NO noises that I can hear and nothing odd that I haven't heard over the years.....crap.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You already have the mechanical gauge, so that would be the test.

Not sure what oil your running. The old girls don't like synthetic. Try some shell Rotella 15w 40 diesel oil in there. Could be lifter issue as well.
I'd probably pull it and freshen it up, being your keeping it forever.
Money well spent. Putting a oil pump on is a temporary fix, even a high pressure high volume. That will buy you some time, but if your losing pressure it has to be going somewhere

How is the coolant level?
Staying the same?
Only asking, hoping a head gasket isn't leaving.
Shame your not closer, I'd run through it with you

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
You already have the mechanical gauge, so that would be the test.

Not sure what oil your running. The old girls don't like synthetic. Try some shell Rotella 15w 40 diesel oil in there. Could be lifter issue as well.
I'd probably pull it and freshen it up, being your keeping it forever.
Money well spent. Putting a oil pump on is a temporary fix, even a high pressure high volume. That will buy you some time, but if your losing pressure it has to be going somewhere

How is the coolant level?
Staying the same?
Only asking, hoping a head gasket isn't leaving.
Shame your not closer, I'd run through it with you

Yikes....yeah this is what I've been using each year when I chznge the oil before winter storage:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Screenshot_20210829-212631_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Temps have been normal, around 190-200 and never hotter.

No loss of coolant so far but I've only put a hundred or so miles on her this year.

But I like your idea of freshening up the motor since it's staying in the family indefinitely as you already mentioned.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I would change the oil to the Rotella first before I did anything. At least that will tell you if its a lifter issue or not.

Flat tappet motors dont like synthetic oil, so once you freshen it up, at least use a synthetic blend.

I remember a while back an additive of zdp you could put in them, but thats not available now.
Another issue I have run into is filters. Not saying what not to buy, as I got chastised on another site, but I can say I use Motorcraft filters. Walmart sells them.....

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I've been happy with WIX filters, also, when you can find them. Ken, I saw the same issue with my truck after I bought it in 2002. I did not have a gauge that showed psi. Putting a rebuilt motor in the truck solved the oil pressure problem. It typically runs midway in the "Normal" range now. It drops slightly when the engine goes to idle. I have about 60,000 miles on the engine, and the pressure is still good.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I would change the oil to the Rotella first before I did anything. At least that will tell you if its a lifter issue or not.

Flat tappet motors dont like synthetic oil, so once you freshen it up, at least use a synthetic blend.

I remember a while back an additive of zdp you could put in them, but thats not available now.
Another issue I have run into is filters. Not saying what not to buy, as I got chastised on another site, but I can say I use Motorcraft filters. Walmart sells them.....

Thanks! I'll do the oil right off and see if that helps. If the pressure goes up, what does that say about the lifters? Goes up, it's a lifter? If it stays down, pump?

I've been using the amsoil filters, but will try Wix like Doug recommended or the Motorcraft.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

I've been happy with WIX filters, also, when you can find them. Ken, I saw the same issue with my truck after I bought it in 2002. I did not have a gauge that showed psi. Putting a rebuilt motor in the truck solved the oil pressure problem. It typically runs midway in the "Normal" range now. It drops slightly when the engine goes to idle. I have about 60,000 miles on the engine, and the pressure is still good.

Thanks Doug.....I'd like to keep the same engine in it if possible....engine is ok, right? Just needs to be freshened up/rebuilt?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ken, I'm not an engine rebuilder, so I can't answer that question. I have limited experience with my own truck and that is it.:(

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, I'm not an engine rebuilder, so I can't answer that question. I have limited experience with my own truck and that is it.:(

Thanks Doug...I trust Charlie and wish I could have him work on it! Engine needs refreshed, but my mechanic also mentioned attempting to try regular oil and not synthetic to see how she reacts to it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
How did your problem start? Gradually over time? Or you suddenly didn't have good oil pressure?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Good question, so the trucks pretty much sat in cold (humid :( ) storage for the last two years and that was HARD on them....we had to drain the gas, replace seals, filters, etc. But once we got them all sorted out and running properly, the low oil pressure was there from the get go. When I was running both trucks periodically in years prior, I couldn't tell you if it had gotten worse or was there at the end or not.

I can say that I watch ALL gauges carefully in ALL of my vehicles and I'm pretty sure I would have known the pressure was off a few years ago, so my guess is that it just went from:
1) working fine, to
2) sitting for two years to
3) low pressure this year.

Would that give you a better indication of the issue? Thanks!

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Ok, sudden low pressure after sitting. We'll go with that for now. While that doesn't rule out anything previously mentioned to you, here's my thoughts.

Spun bearing, which is usually accompanied by bottom end noise, you'll see lots of metal in the pan when you drain the oil. ( I doubt this is your problem.)

Collapsed lifters, not uncommon when they sit around alot, but, usually really noticable top end clatter, misfire at idle, push rods can jump out, I think you would already know if this was your problem. I doubt that it is.

What I'm guessing, is the oil pressure relief valve stuck, or the spring broke. It's in the pump, so changing the pump is a fine solution. Replace the pump drive shaft too, unless yours is REALLY good.

My memory is not spectacular, but if I remember correctly the pan will come off without lifting the engine in a 4x4 that year, if so swapping the pump is no biggie at all. Take a look at the bearings while you are in there, especially if it's high mileage.

All of that said, I highly recommend NOT rebuilding it if you don't have to. If the bearings are good, use them. If it has good compression, doesn't use a lot of oil, and preforms like you want, LEAVE IT ALONE. I say this given the parts situation currently, new bearings are junk in the box, new pistons bust, I can't get Ford lifters right now, ( from a source I can trust). Ask Dustybumpers about replacement lifters currently. Just fix what's wrong and enjoy it.

Disclaimer- this is free advice, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Lol

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ok, sudden low pressure after sitting. We'll go with that for now. While that doesn't rule out anything previously mentioned to you, here's my thoughts.

Spun bearing, which is usually accompanied by bottom end noise, you'll see lots of metal in the pan when you drain the oil. ( I doubt this is your problem.)

Collapsed lifters, not uncommon when they sit around alot, but, usually really noticable top end clatter, misfire at idle, push rods can jump out, I think you would already know if this was your problem. I doubt that it is.

What I'm guessing, is the oil pressure relief valve stuck, or the spring broke. It's in the pump, so changing the pump is a fine solution. Replace the pump drive shaft too, unless yours is REALLY good.

My memory is not spectacular, but if I remember correctly the pan will come off without lifting the engine in a 4x4 that year, if so swapping the pump is no biggie at all. Take a look at the bearings while you are in there, especially if it's high mileage.

All of that said, I highly recommend NOT rebuilding it if you don't have to. If the bearings are good, use them. If it has good compression, doesn't use a lot of oil, and preforms like you want, LEAVE IT ALONE. I say this given the parts situation currently, new bearings are junk in the box, new pistons bust, I can't get Ford lifters right now, ( from a source I can trust). Ask Dustybumpers about replacement lifters currently. Just fix what's wrong and enjoy it.

Disclaimer- this is free advice, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Lol

Hey, I REALLY, REALLY appreciate the advice....price is right also!

So:

-We changed the oil twice to make sure it was clean moving forward, meaning, we dumped the sitting oil, put new oil and filter, then ran it to temp, then dumped it and put fresh oil and a fresh filter on, so no bottom end noise and no metal in the pan.

-No top end clatter or misfires.

-It doesn't smoke and sounds great driving and at idle so maybe motor is fine and pump and bearings possibly.

ALSO, when I bought this thing 8-9 years ago, the motor was rebuilt along with the truck itself being a frame off restoration. I drove it from SC all the way back to Maine and it drove flawlessly....was an epic trip. In the 8-9 years to today, aside form that 1500 mile or so trip, I've probably only put 2-3k miles on that motor, so it's not high mileage. The odometer currently reads 60k, so I'm guessing that's original to the truck itself, but not 100% sure.

I think you and Charlie are on the same page......I think I need to change the pump for sure, but will put some Rotella 15w40 in it to see how the pressure reacts first. Currently, I'm using Amsoil 10w40 synthetic with z-rod which is what I've used since my first oil change when I pulled into Maine 8-9 years ago.

Then go from there, which most likely sounds like a new pump.

Thanks again!

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Definitely on the same page as Charlie. Good luck, let us know what you find in there!

Also possible the pickup tube or the pump came loose, but I kinda doubt it. Worth considering though. Look at the gaskets good when it comes apart.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Definitely on the same page as Charlie. Good luck, let us know what you find in there!

Also possible the pickup tube or the pump came loose, but I kinda doubt it. Worth considering though. Look at the gaskets good when it comes apart.

Will do...thanks again!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts