Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking for 74 F150 4x4 Info

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I am going to look at a 74 F150 4x4 to pick up as my winter ride tomorrow because my motor blew in our car, now what I am wanting to know is what steering set up does the 74 have? my 76 F250 4x4 had that hydro steering in it and I hated it, it blew apart the first day I drove it
so does the 74 F150 4x4 have a regular steering box and coil springs up front
it has the 360 if that matters at all. is there anything else to watch out for, this 74 is supposed to be in good shape and ready to go, with new brakes and seals and not much rust, he wants $1000 , he just had back surgery and can not drive it anymoe, Thanks guys....Rick (Salt-Man)

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its an old truck, look for frame problems, rusting, anything that looks to be damage, check spring mounts, shakles body mounts...

1k dont sound like a bad deal though.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Coils springs up front. Not quite sure on the steering setup.

Last edited:
I don't think the 1/2 tons used the hydro setup, that was for 3/4 tons IIRC.

I don't recall there even being an 74 F150

F100 and F250

IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/mil1ion/67-79%20Ford%20Truck%20Information/Steering%20Related/steeringcolumn4x4.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
it probably is a F100, the guy recently had back surgery and he sounds kind of doped up. or he's just an old stoner???

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I didn't think that the early F100 4x4s had the power assist stuff, but they do if power steering is equipped. But, the assist stuff works good when it works. If the truck is in good shape and runs well, I'd talk him down a bit and go from there. I would think a better steering conversion would be easier on these trucks vs the F250s.

steeringcolumn4x4.jpg

scan0003.jpg

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
well if it looks like the first one we don't have a problem, that is non power correct? I did not go look at it today, the weather turned sour, so we both decided to wait, I have pretty good communications with the guy. he sounds like he really wants me to get it, he said I have the most knowledge and interest in it then anyone else that has inquired about it, Thanks D

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
No biggy........since there are F150 4x4s, just not in that year. Could have been worse, you could have said a 74 F150 4x4 Highboy Camper Special or something like that. Hell, I didn't think the hydro assist came with the F100s or F150s and I was proved wrong. Sometimes you have to say the wrong thing to get the right answer.YelloThumbUp

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
No biggy........since there are F150 4x4s, just not in that year. Could have been worse, you could have said a 74 F150 4x4 Highboy Camper Special or something like that. Hell, I didn't think the hydro assist came with the F100s or F150s and I was proved wrong. Sometimes you have to say the wrong thing to get the right answer.YelloThumbUp
High Boy: 1967/76 & 1977 (before serial # Y20,001) F250 4WD.

There's no such thing as an F100 or F150 4WD High Boy.

There's no such thing as a High Boy Camper Special.

No F150's till 1975.

The term "Hydro-Assist" was never used by Ford. In fact, this is this first time I've ever heard that term.

Power Assist is the correct term.

High Boy Power Assist P/S: There are two completly different types.

All 1973's, 1974's before serial # T80,001 used Garrison P/S.

1974's after serial # T80,001, all 1975/77's used Bendix P/S.

The control valve, ram cylinder do not exchange between these two P/S types.

Last edited:

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
OK I was just looking this over again, and I think I was reading it wrong last time? I thought it was two different set ups, power and non power steering
not that it matters much I am going to see this truck today and I will know then for sure
but my question is (I'm Bored?)
this power assist set up on the 74 F100 4x4 looks to be different then the one that was on my 76 F250 4x4?
this one appears to be an easy swap over to the 78 F150 4x4 power steering box, and it also looks to be a little more safer looking

steeringcolumn4x4.jpg

scan0003.jpg

also how can I drill out the new 78 box to work with the power assist ram as a added helper in addition with power steering

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
well it doesn't matter now, that truck was a piece of cr@p, I'm not looking for a project or a parts truck, oh well

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts