Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

looking at a new pickup

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
Yes, I'm looking at a new pickup, again....I know iv got my eye on a 97 7.3 psd crewcab, and also a 01 king ranch 5.4l f150, they both seem mechanically sound and both r pretty clean the psd w only 132k miles and the king ranch w 155k, I know diesels r a little more costly to upkeep, but iv also heard some pretty scetchy things about early 5.4l I'm. Really shooting for reliability here, both drivven by older gentle men neither hav been molested diesel is stock as is the king ranch, the king ranch is 4x4 the diesel is only 2wd, wich do y'all think will b the most reliable truck?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The modular 5.4L isn't so bad. When it's working well, it's super low maintenance. There are a few odd things about it but it is reliable. It's not the most powerful engine in the world, but it's alright.

I love the King Ranch trim - that's the deal breaker for me out of your two choices.

Ryan

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
the purpose for either one of these will b a daily driver, I'm out in the country so it'll all b highway mileage.The king ranch is pretty nice and luxurious w heated seats n all, but iv been wanting a diesel for awhile just because I want great tow power and all the good speed and blacksmoke and that whole big performance aspect, iv still got my 96 350 with the 460 in it, I love that body and that truck in general, I'm also debating on selling it to a friend that wants it bad, if I were to sell it id need my towing capacity, but I LOVE the whole cowboy cadillac look of the kr, plus its 4x4 and we all know that means big tires on the way... if only I could've found a 4x4 king ranch 7.3 powerstroke...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ill say this...

sell your F350 with 460.. take the money you was gonna buy a new truck with, combine it with the money from selling the F350 and then buy a 4x4 7.3 powerstroke.....

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Unless your willing to jump into the modded diesel world with both feet, i would stay out of the modding a diesel truck. It gets addictive and it gets that way fast. I'm all for the 7.3l But it comes down to needs... KR interiors can be swapped in. If you want the seats and console and what not...

Personally im unsure, i would have to look over both trucks very carefully.
If the PSD was 4x4 that would be my choice hands down.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
Btw I may I'm quite familiar w swapping in interiors iv done that a few times but didn't think about it until it was just mentioned, and I'm pretty familiar w the diesel perf. World (70% or so of my friends drive crazy diesels) but they mostly mess w cummin and later 7.3/6.o psd's. Iv got the money to play now that I'm making a fat welder's paycheck, I could afford a new 6.4 or something but I prefer the old body 7.3's I'm an old school guy, this thread has been puttin ideas in my head for that 7.3 w a later kr interior swap I think you guys have helped spawn a new soon to be beast 7.3.... ill keep everyone posted, btw I may have tost pics if my buddy buys my truck he's swappin in a 24v cummins/6spd and putting that 460 in a 95 bronco... we may have 3 new bad*ss fords in north texas soon

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
the 5.4 r known for head problems. but until they die on you they r fine . see if what has been done to it . the mechanics at the dealer I'm working at say after 150000 its time to watch for stuff . especially if they mixed dino and syn oil

ill say this...

sell your F350 with 460.. take the money you was gonna buy a new truck with, combine it with the money from selling the F350 and then buy a 4x4 7.3 powerstroke.....

ding, ding, ding! we have a winner!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I go better MPG in a 97 F350 crew cab than I did a 01 5.4 F150 so Isay fuel prices aside PSD

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts