Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lincoln MKZ issues by Ben

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I couldn't let Tim have all the fun.

Vibration in 08 MKZ, appears to be temp and rpm sensitive. I can feel/see it in the steering wheel and sometimes felt in the gas pedal. Warm engine, warm day, non-existent. Cold car, cold day...pretty bad. Cold/warm or warm/cold...hit or miss or minor. Seems to be from idle to about 1800rpm. I saw there was a TSB that pretty much fits this to a T

BUT...

one more symptom I don't really like, that could be a concurrent separate problem or related. especially when the vibration is bad, when the suspension cycles upward, the vibration gets exponentially worse. Also, this symptom doesn't always seem to go away once warm, but only shows when the suspension is cycling upward.

Had I not seen the TSB, I would have thought shot engine mount, which still might be the case in the suspension cycling issue. But I also read a thread, where over time some folks were having problems with parts settling and just coming in contact...only answer was really replace everything on that side. Didn't see anything from Ford or any other threads mention it.

So...

1) Any way to self diagnose if the TSB is the correct problem at hand. IIRC, nothing will pop electronically as wrong, and it's a matter of reprogramming the engine and trans. So a $100 diagnostic fee and how much for the reprogramming???

2) Any suggestions on what to look for susp cycling issue? I don't see any contact marks, and nothing looks out of place. Just did an alignment test, everything came back within tolerance.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
2 of them

Printable View (71 KB)
TSB
09-7-4 VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING - 1800-2200 RPM

Publication Date: March 27, 2009

FORD: 2008-2009 Edge
LINCOLN: 2008-2009 MKZ, MKX

This article supersedes TSB 09-5-10 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2009 Edge and MKX vehicles, regardless of vehicle build date, and 2008-2009 Lincoln MKZ vehicles built between 9/1/2007 and 5/31/2008 or 7/1/2008 and 7/31/2008 may exhibit a customer concern of a vibration under acceleration or while driving between the 1800-2200 RPM range only. In some cases the condition can be felt at the steering wheel and/or the accelerator pedal.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: SOME VIBRATIONS WHILE DRIVING ARE CONSIDERED A NORMAL VEHICLE CHARACTERISTIC.

For 2008-2009 Edge and MKX vehicles only perform Steps 6 through 12.
For 2008-2009 MKZ, verify the vehicle build date.
If the vehicle is built before 9/1/2007, between 6/1/2008 to 6/29/2008 or after 8/1/2008 do not continue with this procedure and follow normal Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-04 diagnostics.
If the vehicle is built between 9/1/2007 and 5/31/2008 or 7/1/2008 and 7/31/2008 and the condition is present, proceed to Step 3.
Check to see if the vehicle is equipped with an intake support bracket. (Figure 1)
If the support bracket is present proceed to Step 15.
If the support bracket is not present, proceed to Step 4.

Figure 1 - Article 09-7-4

Remove the cowl panel grille assembly, refer to WSM, Section 501-02.
Remove the power steering pressure line bracket to right hand valve cover stud nut. Position pressure line and bracket aside.
Disconnect and remove the right hand heated oxygen sensor (H02S), refer to WSM, Section 303-14C.
Remove the three (3) exhaust manifold shield bolts and position heat shield aside.
NOTE: EXHAUST MANIFOLD REMOVAL IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS REPAIR.

Install a new intake manifold bracket to the intake manifold and to the cylinder head. (Figure 1)
Install the new cylinder head long support bracket bolt and tighten to 16-20 lb-ft (22-27 N-m).
Install the new upper intake manifold long support bracket bolt and tighten to 89 lb-in (10 N-m).
NOTE: THE INTAKE MANIFOLD SUPPORT BRACKET BOLT CRUSH SLEEVE CRUSHES IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD DURING TORQUE. NO ADDITIONAL HARDWARE IS NEEDED.

Install the exhaust heat shield. Tighten the three (3) bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N-m).
Install and connect the right hand (RH) H02S, refer to WSM, Section 303-14C.
Position the power steering pressure line bracket to RH valve cover on stud, tighten to 80 lb-in (9 N-m).
Install the cowl panel grille assembly, refer to WSM, Section 501-02.
For MKZ only install vacuum hose assembly with brake booster check valve, remove and discard original vacuum hose. Additional information can be found in WSM, Sections 206-07 and 206-00.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7T4Z-9J444-EA Intake Manifold Bracket
W500024-S437 Intake Bracket Bolt To Cylinder Head
5F2Z-9Y450-A Upper Intake Manifold Bolt To Support Bracket
7H6Z-9C490-E Vacuum Hose Assembly (MKZ Only)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090704A 2008-2009 MKZ: Install Intake Manifold Bracket, Includes Time To Remove And Install Cowl And Install Improved Vacuum Hose Assembly (Do Not Use With 17566A, 17508A, 17526A, 12650D4) 1.3 Hrs.
090704A 2008-2009 Edge, MKX: Install Intake Manifold Bracket (Do Not Use With 12650D4) 0.8 Hr.
090704B 2008-2009 MKZ: Install Improved Vacuum Hose Assembly. (Do Not Use With 17566A, 17508A, 17526A, 12650D4) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9J444 39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

blacksnapon

Staff member

Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
11-2-14 AWD - DRIVELINE VIBRATION - HOWL NOISE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS IN COLD TEMPERATURES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/13/2010

Publication Date: February 18, 2011

FORD: 2007-2011 Fusion
LINCOLN: 2007-2011 MKZ
MERCURY: 2007-2011 Milan

This article supersedes TSB 08-14-10 to add a production fix date, update the vehicle model years, title, Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2011 Fusion, Milan and MKZ vehicles equipped with all-wheel-drive (AWD) systems and built on or before 8/13/2010 may exhibit a driveline vibration or a howl noise at highway speeds in cold temperatures.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Place the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.
Index-mark both the driveshaft flanges at the power transfer unit (PTU) and rear differential unit (RDU). Refer to WSM, Section 205-01.
Disconnect the rear driveshaft from the PTU and from the RDU assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 205-01.
Leave the driveshaft attached to the vehicle.
Rotate the driveshaft by hand, and check for any roughness feel to both the front and rear driveshaft bearings.
If no roughness is felt from either bearing, do not continue with this article. Re-index the driveshaft. Refer to WSM, Section 205-01.
If any roughness is felt from either bearing, replace the driveshaft assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 205-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
AE5Z-4R602-A Rear Driveshaft Assembly
W520113-S440 Center Bearing Support Nut
W705443-S900 Exhaust Flex Pipe Flange Nut
W711960-S439 Rear Driveshaft-To-Pinion Flange Bolt

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110214A 2007-2011 Fusion, Milan, MKZ, AWD: Inspect And Replace Driveshaft Assembly (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation) 0.9 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4R602 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Frig...thanks Vince...ballpark on what that would cost me, or can I just live with it vibrating while cold...or will the harmonics cause an issue???

blacksnapon

Staff member
Frig...thanks Vince...ballpark on what that would cost me, or can I just live with it vibrating while cold...or will the harmonics cause an issue???
I think I'd try the first one. Didn't you have plugs changed not too long ago? That would involve removing the brace in the tsb.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I did the plugs about 25,000 miles ago. I reckon that makes sense. Thanks Vince.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts