Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

just released

blacksnapon

Staff member
December 21, 2009

Subject: COMING SOON - Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

The following information is provided to prepare Dealerships for the launch of the new 6.7L Diesel engine in the 2011 F-Super Duty. A more detailed communication will be released in January, 2010 once the new Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid is released for ordering.

WHAT IS DEF?
A non-hazardous clear fluid (67% deionized water / 33% chemically pure Urea) that is injected into the diesel exhaust system to reduce NOx emissions.

WHY DEF?

Required for the 2011 model year F-Super Duty 6.7L Ford diesel to meet 2010 EPA emission regulations
For use with competitive make vehicles using a SCR (selective catalytic reduction) system
The majority of diesel (light and heavy duty) manufacturers will use DEF to meet the new requirements
PART ORDERING
A communication will be sent in early January to announce product ordering details. In general:

DEF is a supplier direct ship product, similar to Motorcraft Coolant & Refrigerant
Dealers can order product directly or through their facing Ford Authorized Distributors
FADs will have product by late January (prior to dealers receiving vehicles)
KEY DATES

Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust Fluid will be available to order early January 2010

ACTION REQUIRED

Plan to order DEF to ensure availability for your customers

1 & 2.5-gallon containers are recommended for consumers wishing to have DEF on hand
FAQ
Why use Motorcraft DEF?
Motorcraft DEF is API certified, meeting ISO22241, and is the only fluid approved and recommended by Ford Motor Company. Inferior product may result in costly damage to the SCR system. System damage as a result of inferior fluid is not eligible for warranty reimbursement.

How is the vehicle filled with DEF?
The fluid is supplied through a fill port located next to the diesel fuel fill port; it has a blue cap clearly marked for diesel exhaust fluid.

What is the capacity of the vehicle DEF tank?
The DEF tanks have a five to six gallon capacity, depending on the vehicle configuration.

How frequently will DEF need to be replenished?
The system is designed to last approximately 7,500 miles between fill ups, coinciding with the oil & filter change interval. However, depending on customer use, replenishment may need to occur more frequently.

Is there a DEF tank level gauge?
The vehicle instrument cluster will provide indication of fluid level in the DEF tank, as well as provide warning messages when the DEF is low and needs to be refilled.

Can the vehicle be operated without DEF?
The vehicle will not operate properly without DEF. When the vehicle DEF monitoring system detects no DEF is available, the vehicle initially goes into a speed limiting mode and then progresses into an idle only mode.

Freezing point is 12F (-11C)

Can DEF freeze in the vehicle?
Yes. However, Ford Motor Company vehicles have a tank and line heater to ensure the vehicle operates in extremely cold climates.

Hey....if it improves fuel economy over the 6.4 like it's supposed to it's a good thing, right?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
i have a question, does the vehicle NEED def to run properly...... meaning could you bypass the system via comp reprogramming, just curious

I was waiting for that question. And the "how will this affect the tuners" question. How do you feel about owning a $60,000 truck that has no warranty and isn't in compliance with state/federal emissions?

blacksnapon

Staff member
i have a question, does the vehicle NEED def to run properly...... meaning could you bypass the system via comp reprogramming, just curious
Toward the bottom of the article...........................
The vehicle will not operate properly without DEF. When the vehicle DEF monitoring system detects no DEF is available, the vehicle initially goes into a speed limiting mode and then progresses into an idle only mode.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
I was waiting for that question. And the "how will this affect the tuners" question. How do you feel about owning a $60,000 truck that has no warranty and isn't in compliance with state/federal emissions?

i would personally never be able to afford this monster..... well at this point any way i was just curious about the ability to switch off and on while still being driveable im sure it would help with egt's on long runs while towing and would obviously be a good system just seams like overkill and another expense on an already expensive vehicle to maintain. BUut like you said i guess that really isnt much if you can afford this truck in the first place :cooldude:

emtzach

i get paid to do this
Toward the bottom of the article...........................

i meant it in more of if the system was empty but the computer didnt realize it was it was would the truck run..... again on the performance upgrade side of things just curious

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts