Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intermittent short circuit causes stalls

My kid took his '97 F150 XLT offroad. He bottomed it out once, and then took it swimming (water over bottom of doorline). After this, vehicle would run, then stop suddenly (power off). Fried an alternator. Replace alternator, however vehicle will run for awhile after starting, then short out completely. Can't seem to crank it now. Looks like the starter is dead. Fuses are fine. 175A mains are fine.

Could a starter cause the main power to short if it is mechanically/electrically defective? I'm afraid I have two separate problems (bad starter and short in the main power somewhere between battery/starter/starter-relay/alternator), but would like anyone to comment on this.

-cpd

blacksnapon

Staff member
My kid took his '97 F150 XLT offroad. He bottomed it out once, and then took it swimming (water over bottom of doorline). After this, vehicle would run, then stop suddenly (power off). Fried an alternator. Replace alternator, however vehicle will run for awhile after starting, then short out completely. Can't seem to crank it now. Looks like the starter is dead. Fuses are fine. 175A mains are fine.

Could a starter cause the main power to short if it is mechanically/electrically defective? I'm afraid I have two separate problems (bad starter and short in the main power somewhere between battery/starter/starter-relay/alternator), but would like anyone to comment on this.

-cpd
I'd start with the starter. Remember the large battery wire going to the starter solenoid.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts