Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm still here..

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I posted. Lots of family stuff going on...:( Burt is back in the garage at the city house but I've got work to do on him before the camping season starts again. Still haven't replaced/diagnosed the problem with the temp gauge or the amp meter. He also sprung a leak in the power steering box AND the rear main seal. It's my own fault as I let him sit too much these last months. I usually drive him once a month or so and start up him, run the AC, heat, shift the gears, etc. once a week, but this winter has been difficult for me to say the least and there have been weeks that I didn't even open his door or notice him when I walked by until I drove him down the mountain last week. I feel so guilty! In any event, I'll start in the next couple weeks on the gauges first and then move on to the 2 leaks. I HATE leaks! Hope y'all are doing well. I lurk once in a while here but really haven't had much to say lately. I do drool over some of the 4x4s I see though! I'll keep ya posted on Burt's progress and hope to get more involved here again soon.....
Take care!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the update Dak...glad to hear you're still kicking. Sorry about the truck problems, but you'll get em worked out. Which reminds me, if you're not gonna use those unwrapped service manuals...send em my way...hahaha.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Good to hear from ya! Hope all goes well with the family and Burt.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Glad to see you back

glad you're back for a while

dakonthemountain

thanks guys! I do miss the banter and fun here.... My mother in law is now living with us and I will be moving my own mom out of her own house soon... this getting older chit ain't for the faint of heart! Burt sits patiently in the garage for now and I can't wait to get under the hood again! Take care all, and thanks for the warm "re-welcome"!

Dak

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey welcome back!!!! I hate leaks also. My rear main sprung a leak the first couple months I had the engine. I replaced the seal, but still leaks. I will try for a 3rd time and see what happens. My steering box also leaks a bit, but I replaced it with another used one and never replaced the seals in it. I just wanted to see how it worked before I went to the trouble. Than I was just going to have Red Head Gears rebuilt it, but that's about as far as I've gotten. If you can get Burt out once a month that's great. I've only started my truck once from November until now. Damn cold weather. Glad to see you back though. I was wondering what was going on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh Ben.... I unwrapped them! In fact, I already ripped a cover on one! Now they are used and I won't worry so much about them. That's what they are for!

Dangit...well enjoy them, I know I get some serious use outta mine.

Hope Red is ok...
Dak

She's doing well, she went to manual steering for the time being, until I decide whether I wanna keep her 'original' and just go with new power assist stuff, or if I wanna upgrade to 79 stuff. But the main issue is time, can't seem to find much of it these days.

My mother in law is now living with us Dak

Did you ask your wife what you did, so you know what you're getting punished for.

dakonthemountain

The biggest problem I have to deal with which will take the longest is the steering and main seal. I've never done that before but with the factory manuals and you guys to guide me when I f*(& up I have confidence I can do it! that really sucks Buck about how soon yours began leaking. I remember when you were working on your truck and all the work and $ you put into it to get her going and looking so good!
Dak

dakonthemountain

Ben, Actually, believe it or not, I love my mother in law. She is just old and can't live alone anymore..... I just hope that when I get that bad someone will be there for me!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, Actually, believe it or not, I love my mother in law. She is just old and can't live alone anymore.....

Oh yeah...I hear, I was just ball busting. I have a pretty good relationship with my future in-laws as well.

I just hope that when I get that bad someone will be there for me!
Dak[/QUOTE]

Californian ward of the state?????? HAHA. Since I am your long lost son, I really hope that wasn't a subtle suggestion...haha.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Californian ward of the state?????? HAHA. Since I am your long lost son, I really hope that wasn't a subtle suggestion...haha.

I think that means you have the responsibility of taking care of him.

How handy are you with medicated wipes?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think that means you have the responsibility of taking care of him.

How handy are you with medicated wipes?

Cough cough...

A ward of the state has no relatives, friends, or other parties who are willing or able to serve as a guardian.

Personally, I like the way my buddy's parents did it...his dad's parents were getting on up there in age so they built a little 800ish sq/ft home for them, in their front yard (which is 10 acres) and hired 24 hr. in home care. His mom's parents are approaching the same fate and they're gonna build another small house for them.

Honestly though, I originally wanted to get into the medical field, but after doing a few clinicals for my CNA, I decided against it...I couldn't handle the depressing state all the old people were in, and I surely didn't care for wiping their @$$es.

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

Well, .. .since I'm only 53 I guess you are safe for a while Ben!

As for the medicated wipes.... Thanks for playing, but NO,,.. thank you. I installed a "self washing and drying" toilet in my mother in law's bathroom... It's really cool! It has a directional warm water washer and "blow dryer" (NO not that kind!!!! ... but I can dream can't I? !!!! ) so that will preclude any ..... ahem.... ASSistance... :wasntme:

It's been blowing like a hurricane here and raining all day on the mountain. rock and mud slides and lightening in the trees! I stayed home and telecommuted today!! smilietease

Off to dinner.... See ya!!

Dak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts