Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

i keep breaking f-ing door handles

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i keep breaking the interior door handles, ive bought two so far. It seems the door doesnt want to un latch and i pull on them to hard, and they freaking snap.

So how do you replace door pins,

Mine are sagging. causing the latch to catch

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Your cable to latch is stretched out .

Support door . I use ratchet strap and hang enough to support weight . You can use dremel tool cut cut old pin and pound out and replace with new.

My self I hang unbolt door from garage door track and move truck couple inches so I can get hands in there way easier for me.Big hands Just mark outline of hinge first . Replace pins . move truck back and using flex in strap re mount it .

Good luck

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
do they make replacemtn cables or is there a way to adjust?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
just swap in 4th gen handles. they're metal :cooldude:

IIRC,the 8th and 9th gens are still metal,but they're coated in rubber.The 7th gen Door handles are all metal,and chrome.They'd be a direct bolt in for him.But I think his problem was the hinge pins that were forcing him to use superhuman strength to open the door,which in turn broke the door handles.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yes common problem . he doors start to sag causing things to bind. So people pull harder.

The cable can be found at most auto parts (here anyway) I ussually get passenger side cables and hinges off trucks at you pull. You can tell if seat not wore on that side then door not used much .

good luck

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
IIRC,the 8th and 9th gens are still metal,but they're coated in rubber.The 7th gen Door handles are all metal,and chrome.They'd be a direct bolt in for him.But I think his problem was the hinge pins that were forcing him to use superhuman strength to open the door,which in turn broke the door handles.

Nope gen 9 alld plastic. The center of it is plastic. snapped why to easily
im goin to be having to work on this on the 88 so im subscribing so i can find it when i get around to it.
Yea it will be probably about two weeks, and ill snap some pictures and try to do a step-by-step.

the handle on my truck is like 2 weeeks old.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Good luck need any help PM me.

Good luck need any help PM me.
Heck no! :(
PM's are for personal chit-chat danggit. ;)
Post it here and we'll all benefit! :)

---------------

Another thing. :)
I've been involved where the guy wouldn't post.
Work computer or shy or whatever.
It friggin sucked.
You have to try to be "perfect" in your answers, it's too dangged much
work.
Here, you got help with clarifications or just plain ol' straightening out
your thinking. LOL :)

It's better and easier both, see?

A thread is something we build together. :)
All hold hands now. ;)

Really tho, you state your ideas/ways of doing and others do too, then
the reader (readers really!) decide how they want to go about it.

-----------------------

I'm a newsgroup junky starting in the early 90's...

My high water point was a thread that went on over a month on an
automotive newsgroup. Fighting! :/ Lots of guys jumped in trying to
stop it. I had the last post in that thread! LOL :)

I snipped out what "the sissy" was saying and asked...
"Aunt Mary is that you? :)"

Snipped out what the bully was saying...
"Mom, is that you? :/"

Snipped out some of the most gawd awful crap you ever read that
the bully had posted...
"Mom, it -is- you! :("
"I told you not to be following me around and posting to -my-
newsgroups! anymore! ;(" <-- crying :)

"Now get your sorry $%$ off here *#$ %#@#it! ;("

And added my favorite lines from my childhood...
""{Alvin} you're worthless as tits on a boar hog! :/" -Mom"
""I'm right and you're wrong and that's all there is to it :/" -Dad"
{that's what he'd say when he was cornered and was clearly wrong! LOL :}

Butthead in AZ

Last edited:
Michigan
I went through 4! I broke one this past friday nite! So embarrassing having to roll the window down to open from the outside...

Michigan
Im getting the older metal ones..

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Nope gen 9 alld plastic. The center of it is plastic. snapped why to easily

Really?I always thought they were metal under that rubber

I'm glad I grabbed some extra 7th gen handles from the junkyard.

Actually,before I got those extras,I needed one for my 80.The P.O. took it off,and it didn't come with the truck.I got a replacement from Advance Auto Parts,and it was all metal.Still holdin up after about a year.You could always just paint them black,or leave them chrome.For those with 8th and 9th gens,you oughta consider the swap to 7th gen handles.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Probably will, its going to take back seat now, check my other thread for details.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
The problem with mine was the connector from the lever to the cable was opening up. There are two fingers that wrap around the cable end. I took a pair of channel locks and rolled them back to where they were supposed to be and haven't had anymore trouble. Metal handels isn't the answer. I pulled so hard with just the plastic handles that it ripped the screws out and cracked the support piece on the door. Just bend the fingers around a little tighter!!!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yep if on clean up latch assembly check for worn plastic clips . And replace cables you will just tear up other stuff.

Never had on break even on COmpany trucks .

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Keep breaking handles Eh,? must be that Bachelor grip :rolleyes:
I had the problem with my window cranks then I just stopped buying cheap Auto store replacements and when to a junk yard and found a old one and never have a issue again :)

Ford Truck Articles