Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I just cant' part with him...

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Ok, so for various reasons I recently determined that I *had* to sell Burt.
Then I cataloged all the paperwork, receipts, etc. and orgainized them by year from the time I got him over 10 years ago and realized that at this point in many ways I have more like a 5 year old truck than a 34 year old one! over $10,000 in parts and upgrades alone! He's got 99k on him now and still does not use oil, so I've decided to dump yet another bucket of $ into him and replace the steering box, the rear main seal, the heater core, and various other maintenance items. This Friday is the heater core and steering box (with the help of my mechanic buddy though! ) If I am able to and can borrow a camera (mine died a few months back) I'll take some photos of the process and post them. Maybe someday I'll get him painted... :) It's just more important to me to keep him running well and reliable than looking pretty.. :cool:

Any pointers for the steering gear box (Redhead Steering) or heater core replacement?.. I've got the factory repair manuals and it all seems pretty straight forward and my buddy knows much more about what he is doing than I, but I'm not afraid to "get in there and do it"!! smilieFordlogo

The main seal comes later...

Regards to all!
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Phew...that seemed close, glad you decided to keep Burt.

As for the Heater Core...can't remember if Burt has A/C or not, but here's the link I used the first couple times I replaced heater cores with A/C:

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/heater/index.htm

Non A/C trucks are ez peezy.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ok, so for various reasons I recently determined that I *had* to sell Burt.
Then I cataloged all the paperwork, receipts, etc. and orgainized them by year from the time I got him over 10 years ago and realized that at this point in many ways I have more like a 5 year old truck than a 34 year old one! over $10,000 in parts and upgrades alone! He's got 99k on him now and still does not use oil, so I've decided to dump yet another bucket of $ into him and replace the steering box, the rear main seal, the heater core, and various other maintenance items. This Friday is the heater core and steering box (with the help of my mechanic buddy though! ) If I am able to and can borrow a camera (mine died a few months back) I'll take some photos of the process and post them. Maybe someday I'll get him painted... :) It's just more important to me to keep him running well and reliable than looking pretty.. :cool:

Any pointers for the steering gear box (Redhead Steering) or heater core replacement?.. I've got the factory repair manuals and it all seems pretty straight forward and my buddy knows much more about what he is doing than I, but I'm not afraid to "get in there and do it"!! smilieFordlogo

The main seal comes later...

Regards to all!
Dak

I am so glad you decided to keep him.....there's not a lot of guys willing to take care of these rigs and keep them on the road like you are, from what I've seen anyways.

And your point stands.....what else are you going to buy out there that has $10k into it and you pretty much know every inch of!

Phew...that seemed close, glad you decided to keep Burt.

ez peezy.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

Ben, ez peezy is a pretty big word there Mr. College Grajooit!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If you are buying an autoparts store so-called "rebuilt" P/S gearbox, you are throwing your money away.

Ford integral P/S gearboxes have a built in flaw, have no sector shaft bearings. So...it won't be too long before the gearbox begins leaking from the sector shaft.

Since only the seal kits are available for vehicles of this vintage, the so-called rebuilt gearboxes are nothing more than resealed gearboxes.

redheadsteeringgears.com (in Seattle WA) takes the gearbox, machines the case, installs the needle bearings that Ford left out...on purpose...so they could sell a gazillion seal kits.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Coulda been me, cuz I've been recommending Red Head Steering Gears on internet Ford truck sites since 2005.

:WooHoo: Dak's keepin Burt.

This makes me want to send mine in for bearings , even though it dosn't need them.
"Ford integral P/S gearboxes have a built in flaw, have no sector shaft bearings. So...it won't be too long before the gearbox begins leaking from the sector shaft"

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ditto on the Redhead. A year and a half ago, I installed a rebuilt gear in my truck, and the slop is already returning. I was waffling with spending the extra coin for a redhead,but I didn't. Bad choice. Glad you are keeping the truck, also. KUDOS!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
:WooHoo: Dak's keepin Burt.

This makes me want to send mine in for bearings , even though it dosn't need them.
"Ford integral P/S gearboxes have a built in flaw, have no sector shaft bearings. So...it won't be too long before the gearbox begins leaking from the sector shaft"

The PO who built my dent used them..... :) :) :)

Ford Truck Articles