Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How do I replace this hose the easiest way?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It's really not as bad as it looks. I was thinking what a pita this is going to be. Turns out it went on fairly easy. Slide one side on fold hose and slide other on.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
What Randy said. Put some some lube on hose to make it slide a little easier might help.

KY Jelly or Vaseline will help.

The new rubber piece will be more plyable then the original hose.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'm leary of any mechanic with ky jelly or Vaseline in their toolbox :suspicious:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I need to do the same one on my 460. I was just going to use straight antifreeze as a lube since it is pretty slippery stuff.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Well, maybe not the easiest way, but it's so short and I just know when the time comes it's going to be a Pain in the A$%!!! because of the nipples that are holding it.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/2142447/7918403/397710473.jpg
Be prepared to remove the waterpump.

This is refered to as the by-pass hose. What no one has mentioned is...that there is a 5/8" steel nipple that is pressed into the intake manifold that is in-famous for rusting out.

When the hose is removed, what usually occurs is...the section of this nipple that protrudes from the manifold breaks off. So now...it too has to be replaced.

Even if the nipple is OK after you cut the hose...you will then see that there is less than an inch between the nipple on the pump and the nipple in the intake manifold.

Lotsa luck trying to install the new hose...even with vaseline/KY or whatever...without removing the pump, considering how little space there is.

And...if the nipple is rusty, trying to install the new hose on it...using the method peeps have chimed in with (I wonder how many have really done it this way), may cause it to break off.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Bill is correct I have seen that nipple rusted on the engines. The last one I replaced was 20+ years ago, so rust wasn't a issue I had to worry about. Thanks for bringing up the rust/ corrosion issue Bill.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
C5AZ-8555-B (replaced C5AZ-8555-A) .. Steel By-Pass Hose Tube (Nipple) / 5/8" O.D. x 2 1/2" long -cut to fit.

A similar tube is available at a gazillion autoparts stores, because...

This little darlin' was used in myriad: 221/260/289/302/351C/351M/351W/352/360/390/400/429/460 and etc engines.

C5AZ-8555-B (replaced C5AZ-8555-A) .. Steel By-Pass Hose Tube (Nipple) / 5/8" O.D. x 2 1/2" long -cut to fit.

A similar tube is available at a gazillion autoparts stores, because...

This little darlin' was used in myriad: 221/260/289/302/351C/351M/351W/352/360/390/400/429/460 and etc engines.

Over the years I've heard that design called allot of things, 'little darlin' NOT being one of them! :rolling laugh:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Little darlin' & little charmer are my derisive terms for parts that were crap from the get-go!

I've typed these terms in 1000's of posts because there's a lotta other crap parts. D4AZ-18495-A vacuum controlled heater/water valve is another little darlin.'

And this little charmer: E5TZ-9189-B .. the 6 ported plastic fuel tank selector valve used in the mid 1980's.

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
So Bill that steel bypass tube replaces the hose I assume and can only be installed if you remove the water pump, yes?...Or is it only the replacement nipple for the potentially rusted out one on the intake manifold?..

thanks for the info!
Dak

I have replaced a bypass tube without removing the water pump or intake manifold. It involved a hammer,a piece of flat steel and a piece of oak.

When have little money for gaskets you have to figure out another way.
My way worked fine.

I have replaced a bypass tube without removing the water pump or intake
manifold. It involved a hammer,a piece of flat steel and a piece of oak.
When have little money for gaskets you have to figure out another way.
My way worked fine.
Cool. :)

-------------------------------------

Grease is bad for radiator hoses BTDT so don't use that. :)

Silicone sealer makes it slicker anyway and will help seal it too.

Permatex light-gray water pump and thermostat sealer is what
I used here but RightStuff is better...

bypass.jpg

...that's a short hunk of 5/8" i.d. A/C hose.

Butthead in AZ

Last edited:
Cut out old hose from nd to end and peal off so you don't break fittings. Then use silicone spray for lube on new hose/fittings and fold hose in half it should slip right in.(I'ts worked for me) if fittings haven't rusted off it can be done,

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts