Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hope it's not the head gasket!

I just checked my oil today and I had the milky oil on the fill cap. I know this can be the sign of a blown head gasket. BUT..... I drive the truck back and forth to work and up to the store. I drive to work 1 mile. I drive to the store 1 mile. I know this is horrible on an engine, and I'm wondering if the miky oil on my cap could just be from condensation in the oil from the engine not getting hot enough to burn it off, especially now that it's 20 degrees most of the time I'm driving? Otherwise the truck is running fine and not overheating.

I'll add that I do let it sit and idle for about 15 minutes every evening at work, and on those nights the temp gauge gets to 1/2. Otherwise in the short distances I drive the temp never gets above the C (cold). Thanks.

when u drain the pan check to see if the oil is milky. also check and see if your coolant level has decreased,also check your plugs pull them out and see the top of the pistons are spot clean, and if their is alot of white greish corbon build up around the plugs. if u locate were the build up is or if you see 1 or2 of your pistons is clean that is were u blew the gasket. If u do have a blown head gasket this will def let u know.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ill 2nd smokey, just from not driving far enough, id def take it out for a longer drive. I get that on my stuff, even on my engine with new headgaskets, and just about every other seal, 4 miles to work, just barly get to full temp by work, i let my stuff run for about 20 min before I drive to work.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Its no big deal, head jobs are all ways good..

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I don't know where you're at, but with the super cold this winter you may not be able to get the engine warm enough to drive off all the condensation. Natural by-product of internal combustion engines. Just change your oil regularly and you should be fine.

One of my trucks stays like that from about November to May. Then it clears up.

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was just condensation. I haven't heard that the 300's had a reputation for blown head gaskets. And I know that when I used to change the oil on my Jeep it would have a good bit of water in the pan.

My problem too is that I gotta watch my money so I can't afford to go for long drives to actually get the engine heated up although now that I see that water I may have to drive at least once a week to heat it up. Jim

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Just let it run for 20-30 min, you dont have to drive anywhere.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I agree with everyone else. It sounds like condensation. Check your oil level. Sometimes when headgaskets leak into the oil the level will be a lot higher than normal. If it's normal you probably are ok. Just let it run longer so it gets hot.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yep! Not enough driving to get enough heat . Might check your pcv valve as well. Its the pcv valve's job to remove the condensation.

Thanks, I never thought to check PCV. I did go out earlier and check antifreeze level (it's full) not losing any there. So I'm more relieved. I'll check the PVC and clean it if nec. Jim

I think my problem is that I don't run it long enough to heat up. It's literally 1 mile from my house to my workplace- and 1/2 of that is down hill. It takes me about 3 minutes tops to get back or forth to work. Pretty much the only other driving I do normally is a mile up to the local walmart and grocery store.

Every once in a while I'll drive about 30 miles to visit a cousin, but that's only about once a month. Jim

I used to walk to work but I got sick and tired of all the hot, beautiful women trying to lure me into their vehicles (want some candy? can you help me find my lost puppy? etc.) plus I'm too lazy to haul my butt back up the hill in the evening! LOL! Jim

Ford Truck Articles