Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HFCM - Changed Out Due To Fuel Pump Failure

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Earlier this month, my fuel pump failed at 156,000 miles.

My local dealer replaced the entire HFCM (I thought they were seperate items or components.. but they replaced the entire HFCM housing and all.

In doing so, I guess I now have an upgradeded or downgraded HFCM because I have an unconnected wire harness laying loose on my frame rail??

I am told that the new/replacement HFCM's do not have the heater element or something like that anymore (as did my '03 stock/OEM one).

I think I remember hearing about this, but never paid attention as it did not apply to me... until now!!!

Questions I have:

1) Do I have to worry about winter-time gelling more than before?

2) Does my PCM/computer see this circuit as an "open circuit" or would the dealership have re-flashed my computer to account for this new HFCM?

3) Is it safe to leave the pig-tail loose along the frame rail?

4) Should I use duck-tape and a zip tiew and try and secure it (the pig-tail)?

Thanks,

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
they should have replace the fuel pump harness with the new jumper that has the connector eliminated. they removed the fuel heater in the fuel header due to so many water in fuel lights. you can go get the jumper and plug and play within the install and it will be the same as what you have there.

as far as the gelling of the fuel i would do the same as you always have because it only heated what little bit was inside the fuel pump and the returned fuel is always a little warm anyway.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
they should have replace the fuel pump harness with the new jumper that has the connector eliminated. they removed the fuel heater in the fuel header due to so many water in fuel lights. you can go get the jumper and plug and play within the install and it will be the same as what you have there.

as far as the gelling of the fuel i would do the same as you always have because it only heated what little bit was inside the fuel pump and the returned fuel is always a little warm anyway.

Should I have received the new jumper harness as part of this service? Would it have been more money, or did I save money and I should just let it be?

I guess I can tape up the ends of the connector and zip tie it so it will not catch on anything.

Does one have to update the computer to now tell it to not recognize this "feature" of the HFCM module? I am assuming that my tech checked for codes, re-set them all and hopefully updated anything that was required?

Your thoughts?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
whenever i replace pumps or the fuel headers, i replace the jumper harness as neccessary. honestly it is not needed, but is more cosmetic than anything else. there is no update needed nor codes set due to this.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Beachbumcook said:
I guess I can tape up the ends of the connector and zip tie it so it will not catch on anything.

Jeff, IIRC fuse F2.105 (30A) powers the fuel heater circuit, you can pull this from the fuse block as well.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
...they removed the fuel heater in the fuel header due to so many water in fuel lights....

Did they retain the water in fuel signal/warning or did they eliminate this as well with the update?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
They left the water if fuel sensor there.

Okay great, just checking since i know the manufactures can come up with some interesting ideas to limit warranty repairs and not all of them are the best thoughtout.

fuel pump failure

Hello I have had the same problem ford dealer changed out HFCM when fuel pump went out part No. 6C3Z-9G282-AA. And now I cant find a fuel filter to fit new HFCM . Ford dealer said that a 4604 filter was the right one. It is not it is to short and dos not have a O ring on the end of filter. Like the one that came with the HFCM. And have been told that Racor witch makes the filters for ford changed the HFCM housing and filter. And I have been told that Racor failed to tell ford or if Racor told ford . Ford has chose not to do any thing about it . And now I have a truck that I cant get a fuel filter for . No one seams to have a part number for the new filter . So be on the safe side check the filter and see if it is the same as the 4604

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Hello I have had the same problem ford dealer changed out HFCM when fuel pump went out part No. 6C3Z-9G282-AA. And now I cant find a fuel filter to fit new HFCM . Ford dealer said that a 4604 filter was the right one. It is not it is to short and dos not have a O ring on the end of filter. Like the one that came with the HFCM. And have been told that Racor witch makes the filters for ford changed the HFCM housing and filter. And I have been told that Racor failed to tell ford or if Racor told ford . Ford has chose not to do any thing about it . And now I have a truck that I cant get a fuel filter for . No one seams to have a part number for the new filter . So be on the safe side check the filter and see if it is the same as the 4604

Have never heard this before and think there may be an explanation:

1) Are you using Motorcraft fuel filters?

2) What does your dealer say - didn't they do the repair?

3) Did you buy aftermarket fuel filters and get one for the E series van?

4) Did your dealer or mechanic install the right HFCM?

The o-ring doe NOT go in the filter, but on the housing cap (for both filters - large and small one).

No change in filters has been announced or published... so someone is giving yu bad advice.

Good luck,

Yes I all ways use motercraft filters the new HFCM is a motercraft PFB-93 6C3Z-9G282-AA. And the only way to get correct filter is to buy a new motorcraft HFCM . Ford dealer checked in to it and told me that Racor witch makes the HFCM and the motorcraft replacement filter . Changed up the filter housing and failed to tell ford. Or has told ford and ford chose to do nothing. See for your self go to ford dealer and get them to pull a new HFCM off the shelf take the filter out of it and compair the filter out of it to a motorcraft 4604 filter. And no ford did not do the repair dealer has serviced this truck sence new and have made all repairs untill now . Oil and all filters changed every 4000 miles 2 sets of injectors and 2 HFCMs before warranty was out has had 3 sets of injector replaced after warranty was out by ford dealer .1 HFCM repacement 4500 miles ago time for yhe service and am doing it my self and that is when I found filters are not right . I will post pic. of the filter

Last edited:
filters

here are the pic of the filters both are motorcraft one with O ring is from a new motorcraft HFCM and the other is a motorcraft 4604 witch is suppose to be the replacement

Attachments

• grand 039.jpg
  • grand 042.jpg
  • grand 041.jpg
What year is your truck? Where are you located?

The filter without the O ring is a 4604 motorcraft I removed the HFCM and removed the fuel pump from it took the 4604 fuel filter and snapped it on the cap installed it in to the HFCM and looked in the hole where the fuel pump gos and it likes about a 16th of an inch of touching where it is suppose to seal the only thing it touches is the cap no wonder my truck eats injector like a fat kid eats cake

I know some of these trucks can be problematic, but I find it hard to believe your truck needed two HFCM's and two sets of injectors already. I have 65,000 miles on mine and it's never been back to the dealer. Beachbumcook, the fellow that started this thread has over 150,000 miles on his '03 (known for their early 6.0 problems) and has never even had the egr valve out to look at. His has the very problematic C94 injectors and he has had no problems. I think you've experienced a dealership that's been throwing parts at the symptom and not fixing the problem.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Have no idea what to say to your issue, but you are the first person to post or ask about this issue on this forum and any others.

If this was a Racor problem or a Ford problem, I think we would have heard about it by now.

My new HFCM was repalced last month and all is just like it was when I bought my truck new... filters and housing.

My gut thinks that your dealer has a mixed up batch of parts and/or filters??? Wonder if there is some difference between an E series van and a Super-Duty...but that would be my only other guess????

Here is useful link relating to the HFCM.

Sorry.... I can't offer any help for you.

Last edited:
fuel filters

Ford dealer has done all filter and oil changes. And the truck has 144000 miles on it and I am tired of the ford dealer replacing parts and not fixing problem. I have had this truck serviced every 4000 miles give or take 2 to 5 hundred miles. Ford dealer replaced HFCM 4500 miles ago. So I decided to do the service my self went to dealer and got filters for 2006 F350. And when I pulled the fuel filter out of the HFCM that is when I noticed that it did not match the replacement. Witch is a 4604 went back to dealer and they told me that the HFCM was a motorcraft that they installed part number 6C3Z-9G282-AA. And when I showed them the filter out of it they tried to tell me it did not come out of the HFCM they installed. So I had them prove it I had them take a new HFCM that has never been insalled and take the filter out of it. And the filter they took out of the new one had the O ring on it just like the one I pulled out of my truck So they have called ford and can not get a part number from them or the correct filter . And if you take the fuel pump out of the HFCM. And put a 4604 filter in it you can see through the hole where the pump gos. That the 4604 filter does not seal it lets the fuel by pass the filter so no wonder these trucks have injector problems fuel is not filtered . And that is when dearler ship told me that Racor that makes the HFCM and the filters for ford must have changed up the HFCM and filter and had not told ford or if they had told ford .Ford had ignored it and had done nothing. And its like I said stop by a ford dealer and ask for the HFCM and look at the filter in it and compair it to the 4604 replacement and see what they have to say

These trucks will do a lot better with clean fuel I have been a diesel mechanic for all most 40 years and 99 percent of injector problems are fuel related. And oil filters and fuel filters and oil is cheaper than an engine or injectors. and as usual ford as blown this off instead of fixing the problem. that is why I decided to repair my self. and the way thing are going .It all most makes you want to drive a Chevy again.

Ford Truck Articles