Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hey All, New Guy Here.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Either a breaker bar and socket on the crank snout or with the starter... Pull #1 plug and stick your finger over the hole. crank it over until the compression forces your finger off. When it stops doing that, #1 should be relatively close to TDC...

Loosing light and the battery is dead. I'll charge it and try tomorrow. What am I looking for as far as the rotor button? What will that tell me about the coil?

okay, battery is charged, pulled #1 plug, held my finger over the hole while my son cranked until compression forced my finger off. Pulled dist cap off and the rotor was pointing to the #1 wire. I also re did the screwdriver spark test with charged battery, no spark to speak of. Is it a good bet to say the coil is bad? Please keep the replies coming! Thanks.

A few weeks later and truck is running! New coil and condenser and nothing. As I said I just bought the truck and its been 20+ years since I worked on a car/truck. Someone responded about points, rotor, cap etc... and I said they appeared good. Well as frustration mounted and remembering what we did "back in the day", I pulled points, filed and cleaned, put them back in with correct gap and the truck fired right up! I ordered all new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and points from parts store. On my way to get them but there is 6" of new snow on the ground so I wont get them in today. I guess the lesson is to cover the basics first! If and when the sun ever comes out I'll get some pics posted.

Fellro

Staff member
Little late to the party, but points was what I was about to suggest. They can certainly do that, be fine one minute and not the next. I have had that happen a couple times.

Ford Truck Articles