Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP!! heater core and dealer AC disaster!

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
God what a mess!! I didn't realize that even the dealer AC would have to come outmanual. I've got the heater vents, cables, etc. off. No problem per the manual. But how can I get the box off to get to the core!! The manual does not state this when there is dealer air involved. I only thought it would be a pain if the truck had integrated factory AC . Has anyone else removed the dealer AC, or at least found a way to slide the evaporator box out of the way (without detaching the hoses and evacuating the R12!!) so I can get the Heater box out?!! I'm totally stuck with a truck underdash half torn apart..

Thanks for any help!
Dak

dakonthemountain

Thanks anyway Mark... I'm just sick about this and have spent 4 hours just trying to figure out a way! I've given up for the time and thank God I don't have to drive Burt every day! I'd be SOL!!!
Dak

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I did not need to replace the evaporator, so I was able to move the evaporator to the side to replace the heater core and blower motor. Do both because you will only want to do this job ONCE! I am assuming that removal or replacement of the evaporator will require evacuation. You will only need to remove the bolt that holds the right-hand side of the dash to the cab. It's a tight fit, but it can be wrangled out of there. If you are a contortionist, that will also help. I thought we had a sticky for replacement of the heater core/blower motor, but I can't seem to find it. Mayhaps someone else can point you in the right direction for that article.

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

Thanks for the tip on the dash bolt removal. A guy on "the other site" has also noted this but added to do both sides and the center dash support. The heater core/blower is actually easy if not for the AC! I am going to replace the blower motor as a precaution. I'm going to try the dash part first to see if I can move the evaporator aside a bit (pulling the hoses through the firewall a bit) to get it out. I'm only about 1/2" away!!!! I'm now away from the truck but will dive back in on Tuesday night..
Thanks again!
Dak

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Good Luck, Dak. You might to "stretch" the right side of the dash a bit, but if you are careful, everything will go back into place.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts