Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

he did it.....

I have been sick and in bed the last couple of days....

Anyway, I have not see this yet and I don't know much about it, but my dad bought a truck. I will tell you all I know (not much) and post the really dark pics he sent me.

It is a 1997 Ford F-150 4X4, V8 (of some sort), automatic, standard cab. It might be a long bed, but I am not sure. Hard to tell from the pics in the dark.

DSCF0904.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0902.jpg

Dscf0901.jpg

Dscf0900.jpg

Dscf0899.jpg

Dscf0898.jpg

I do not know mileage, I do not know gears, I do not know where he bought it, basically...I know nothing.....[confused]

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hmph... Not a bad looking truck. Personally, I think he should have dropped it back 1 year and gotten the pushrod engine and manlier body :D But different strokes I suppose...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
4.6L engine there Brian. Definetly looks like a long bed. I believe that '97 was the only year they had the exhaust exit in front on the rear tire. I think I read somewhere that it caused some issues. Not really sure and I don't recall them being too serious. Maybe a tech will step in if that's the case.

I didn't notice the exhaust. I agree...it appears to be a 4.6 after looking at the pic a little closer. I think it has a bed liner or some sort and those are probably leaves under the tool box. It has step bars and looks like leather seats. Those should be comfortable.

I will go look at it tomorrow evening after dialysis.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
4.6L engine there Brian. Definetly looks like a long bed. I believe that '97 was the only year they had the exhaust exit in front on the rear tire. I think I read somewhere that it caused some issues. Not really sure and I don't recall them being too serious. Maybe a tech will step in if that's the case.

you're right there... I heard it was due to concerns of exhaust fumes being too close to the cab. More of a health deal than anything.

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
Look at the passenger side rear head gasket (you'll have to strain to get a good look). They had a tendency to get an oil leak at the rear of the engine there. The reason is, there is an oil passage close to the edge of the cyl head.

Well...guys I managed to get to see it just before dark tonight.....

MY FATHER!!!!! :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: :rofl:

my father said:
I want a plain F-150 4X4 with power steering, power brakes, AC, and a bench seat, none of that extra garbage to wear out and break.

NOPE! This thing is a lariat. It is loaded. Power windows, power locks, power mirrors, leather bucket seats, cassette in the dash and a 6 disk CD changer behind the seat. The tires look nearly new. It has a bug shield.

It has less miles than my 01 explorer has on it.

I rode with him from town out to their house. It rides nice. It seems to handle just fine. No major issues that I saw. It has a couple of parking lot dings (no dents) and a few scratches in the clear coat. I can probably get rid of those.

He said he could not see any leaks under it or around the engine. It was too dark to see anything by the time we got to his house.

I will play with the 4X4 as soon as I can. He said it works fine, but he has no clue how to get it in 4 low.

....He said it works fine, but he has no clue how to get it in 4 low.

If its shift-on-the-fly 4wd then you most likely need to put it in neutral or 1st to activate 4lo

I am sure that is correct. He has the owners manual in the glove box. I will double check and find a dirt road to play on.

I have driven a ford 4X4s since 89 (I am on my 3rd), so I am famailiar with how they work. YelloThumbUp

blacksnapon

Staff member
Trans in neutral, push on the brakes (it needs input from the brakelight switch) then switch into 4lo. Same way to switch back.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I am sure that is correct. He has the owners manual in the glove box. I will double check and find a dirt road to play on.

I have driven a ford 4X4s since 89 (I am on my 3rd), so I am famailiar with how they work. YelloThumbUp
LOL, didn't mean to insult your Brian. I know you know a thing or two about these trucks, just tryin' to help buddy YelloThumbUp

LOL, didn't mean to insult your Brian. I know you know a thing or two about these trucks, just tryin' to help buddy YelloThumbUp

I know. A lot of people don't know how to get them into 4 low. 'hah'

I was amazed at the people buying rangers and explorers that had no clue (on explorer forum).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well what do you expect...? Explorer owners are pretty much the stupidest people around. Oh and they're ugly. Did I mention stupid?

Good thing you drive a 56 :D

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Nice truck! I like the 4.6- father-in-law got about 186K trouble free miles out of his and traded it for a '06 last summer. He really has a work truck setup though- 2WD XL with A/C, Cruise, and Tilt... stop. Another buddy put over 200K on a '97, traded it for a new '06.... and has been kicking himself ever since (he really dislikes the new truck- major gripes with the gas mileage and the power).

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Well what do you expect...? Explorer owners are pretty much the stupidest people around. Oh and they're ugly. Did I mention stupid?
You wanna see stupid?

Here tis.

I don't own an Explorer.

I've never owned a 4WD.

In fact I've never even driven a 4WD!

But I have driven a Reo Self Shifter.

And that's a terror to drive.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So now I'm supposed to say "Hey Bill, what's a Reo Self Shifter?" :rofl:

Answered my own question:
http://www.motorera.com/history/hist10.htm said:
The next significant attempt at an automatic transmission was by Reo in 1934. Called the Reo Self-Shifter, it was actually two transmissions connected in series. For ordinary driving, one unit upshifted itself automatically in relation to car speed through the engagement of a centrifugal multiple-disc clutch -- much the same idea used by the Sturtevants. The second transmission was shifted manually and was used only when a lower gear was needed.
1933%20Reo%20Royale.jpeg

Last edited:
It's been a couple days, how is your dad liking the truck?

Yes. He loves it. He picked it up in town Wednesday night, Thursday we all met at the bank in town (after dialysis) for him and mom to sign the papers.

Other than that Thursday, Friday and Saturday to work (3 miles each way) is all he has driven it. [confused]

He wanted me to drive it to dialysis today (trade with him), but I am still sick. I would rather not drive something I am not familiar with when I feel like I do. :(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts