Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got my first pickup back!

44 years ago I turned 16 and dreamed of a new Ford pickup. I bought some stocker cattle and they doubled their money on wheat pasture over winter. On April 1,1978 I bought a brand new
F-150 Ranger with a 460bbl in it for $4,777. I traded it in 1980 at a nearby dealership for a 1980 F-150 4x4. My son found it and bought it for me for my 60th birthday! It is now home and time to restore her to her former glory! We have worked on restoring vehicles in the past years my 1967 Mustang, a 2006 Mustang GTwe purchased together but this is going to be the most fun! It will be my new grandson's pickup 16 years from now? We will see!

Snapchat-536561033.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Awesome! Looks to be restorable, but then anything is if you want to spend the time andmoney on it. Thse trucks are well supported for parts, and aren't that bad to actually do either. My dad had a 79 F250 for the farm for several years, then bought the 84 diesel new that was his last truck to ever buy.

Awesome! Looks to be restorable, but then anything is if you want to spend the time andmoney on it. Thse trucks are well supported for parts, and aren't that bad to actually do either. My dad had a 79 F250 for the farm for several years, then bought the 84 diesel new that was his last truck to ever buy.
Yes I traded it because we were having blizzards every winter and I needed a 4x4. Glad I got it at the time until everyone was going to round bales as we were too. I saw my neighbor first haul a round bale with his 80 model and after a week the frame was curved! Ford cut holes in the frame to lighten the weight and several were failing. I went and bought an old 72 F-100 4x4 shortbed just to put a round bale spike on. We had a lot of fun in this 77 with the 460!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i always love seeing posts when people find their old cars again....

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
That is something cool!!!

Well this pickup had been put on propane and there was still some in the tank. Turned the valve on and it pressured up. Oil on dipstick so what the heck. New battery and she cranked right over! Checked some wiring, no fire. I knew immediately what the problem was. Went to the parts shelf and got a new electronic ignition box (I keep one on hand from past pickups) and changed it out. Hit the key and it started! After 16 years setting, it started and idled! Now I have to clean the fuel tanks so I can put it back to gas. I vacuumed all the mouse houses out of the cab, and removed the 43 year old saddle blanket seat covers I put in it back in 1978. Opened the glove box and the owners manual with my name and service oil change record I wrote in was still in there albeit a little chewed around the edges! I am so lucky it's still just a 2 owner pickup! Now I have to do body work and it is pretty rusty in spots. Oh, and parts are high these days! Only thing I can't really locate is seat foam cushions. Any help where to order from?

Fellro

Staff member
The good news on the seat - 1973 to 1996 will bolt into the same spot. 80-96 are direct, I think the 73-79 tracks are touch different. If you want original replacement, you have to go to restoration companies. LMC Truck stocks them - for $279. Didn't have much luck with Bronco Graveyard or Dennis Carpenter. National Parts Depot also has them for $358, Melvin's Classic Fords has the same on as NPD for $329. there are still plenty of these truck out there, a complete seat in good shape can be found.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts