Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Good news!!

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you all an update on my 73' F100. As you recall my truck was burning oil but had very few miles on it since a total rebuild. I tried everything to discover why and even with expert suggestions from members on this forum the cause eluded me. I took the truck to my favorite mechanic and told him to pull the engine and do a hone and re-ring job. We sent the block out to be rebored due to scoring on some of the cylinder walls.
Lo-and-behold the machine shop discovered that the previous rebuilders had bored the cylinders out 5 thousandths too large for the rings and pistons that were installed. My understanding is that the rings would have had a hard time seating properly due to this and that is the best guess why it continued to burn oil. So, the truck is due back late next week and I will report back then on how she runs! Highest regards, Donald.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Nice finish for truck of the year! Glad someone figured it out. I've always wondered if an overheating issue on my truck(just when towing something) is caused by some odd issue like that......

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Thanks for the update, I was wondering what ever became of this.

glad you found the issue! rebuild doesn't always mean it was rebuilt well. remember almost anyone can put together an engine that runs. it take an eye for detail to build a engine that runs well and lasts.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
good news!
Wait till you hit the go pedal after you break it in, you will think it's a different engine!

Yeah, really excited to get it back. But when I took it in I told Scotty that I don't want it done fast. I want it done right. I am sure it will be a whole new horse after it is back on the road. The next thing I want to do is replace the tires. The truck has Starfire tires on there now. I bought the truck with the tires on it. They show little wear but after 7 years they might be somewhat hard. I want good highway tires and with white lettering. I think the lettering will go very nice with the aluminum trim. :cool:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Good news on the engine!

I wouldn't wait too long on those tires. Older tires can fail even if the tread looks good.

Can't wait to hear how she drives with the new pistons and rings, keep us posted!

Russell, you are so right!! I really do not trust the tires. I will be pulling a small camping trailer in the spring so I want a solid engine and good tires. Here is a photo of kinda what I had in mind. My wheels are green though. Donald.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
I had to get a tire for my bump the other day ,I had one more tire to buy!
The tire that was bad , had brand new lookin tread on it ,but it was real
old an weather cracked.

What happened was I turned the corner too short an caught the curbing
on an island ,an it ripped the tread off!..

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Russell, you are so right!! I really do not trust the tires. I will be pulling a small camping trailer in the spring so I want a solid engine and good tires. Here is a photo of kinda what I had in mind. My wheels are green though. Donald.

I like it!

Hi guys!! Spent the last 10 days in Cali and Arizona visiting family. Got back last night and it is good to be home. Dorothy was right!
Walked down to Scotty's and picked up my truck. It runs great!! Only issue was that the water temp pegged to the right. Brought it back to him and they jumped on it. Spectro gun shows the temp running at 189 degrees. No heat caused overfill in the bottle and we could even take the radiator cap off and watch the flow so we knew it wasn't overheating. Turns out it must be an instrument problem. I think the sending unit. I posted a photo of the cluster so you could see where the truck is running at about 50 mph. The oil pressure is also running somewhat higher than it used to. I will take the truck back at 500 miles when he wants to do a final check on everything. Good to be back on the road again.
Donald

Attachments

• cluster.jpg
  • new engine.jpg

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Engine sure looks pretty!

On the temp gauge, could be that it has the wrong sending unit. Maybe check to be sure the one that was installed is for the gauge and not warning light. Might also check to be sure there is good ground from the engine to the frame and body. Ground problems can cause issues with the gauges for sure. That fresh paint on the block could interfere with a good ground connection.

Keep us posted!

Russell, you are right on target about the grounding. That is exactly where I will start. But I am sure the issue will be simple to resolve. She runs so sweet and the idle is very smooth. Nice to start the truck and see NO smoke! :)

update

Found a grounding strap on the firewall that had not been secured to the block when the engine was reinstalled in the truck. I bolted it back into place and now all instruments are functioning as normal! Donald.

Ford Truck Articles