Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Given a '71 F100 - What Now?

About 15 years ago, my wife's grandmother was cleaning up around her property, and somehow I ended up hauling a 1971 F100 home. It was (is) in terrible shape. I haven't touched it since I hauled it home.

Fast forward to now... I was walking through a parking lot and came across the same model but fully restored and WOW, what a beautiful truck. My interest in the truck has been fully awakened and I want to do something with it.

My question is; What now? I have the truck. It doesn't run, and needs a ton of work. I'm ok with this, but have no idea where to start.

What I know of the truck is that it was running when parked (in a field with 20 other old cars), and rats have chewed through every wire, hose, and probably anything else they could. According to the VIN it has a 360 in it.

So where do I go from here? Do I just clean it up as much as I can, install some wiring and see what it will do?

Some background on me... I am not intimidated by this project (except for the expense of it). I have remodeled houses, rebuild motorcycles and boats, and generally can fumble my way through anything. However, I don't want to get $5k into this and realize I need another $10k to make anything of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fellro

Staff member
Body and paint is where a lot of money can be spent and continue to be spent depending on how bad it is. Wiring and powertrain can be done for much less. The big thing is that you will ikely spend more money on it than you would ever be able to sell it for. As long as that doesn't matter, these trucks can be quite the nice rig.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
probably really all depends on where you want to go with it in the end. Full resto, rat rod, just running, etc.

That right there is the million dollar question.... What would you like to do with it and what do you feel comfortable doing?

About 15 years ago, my wife's grandmother was cleaning up around her property, and somehow I ended up hauling a 1971 F100 home. It was (is) in terrible shape. I haven't touched it since I hauled it home.

Fast forward to now... I was walking through a parking lot and came across the same model but fully restored and WOW, what a beautiful truck. My interest in the truck has been fully awakened and I want to do something with it.

My question is; What now? I have the truck. It doesn't run, and needs a ton of work. I'm ok with this, but have no idea where to start.

What I know of the truck is that it was running when parked (in a field with 20 other old cars), and rats have chewed through every wire, hose, and probably anything else they could. According to the VIN it has a 360 in it.

So where do I go from here? Do I just clean it up as much as I can, install some wiring and see what it will do?

Some background on me... I am not intimidated by this project (except for the expense of it). I have remodeled houses, rebuild motorcycles and boats, and generally can fumble my way through anything. However, I don't want to get $5k into this and realize I need another $10k to make anything of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if at all possible buy the one you saw in the parking lot and use your for parts.you can usually buy one for less than you invest in one with parts and your own labor.if someone else does the work then buying a finished 1 is much cheaper.none of my rambling takes sentimental value into consideration only you know what the truck means to you.

i'd start with the engine, see if its siezed if not get the wiring fixed do a tune up and clean the carb and try firing it

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts