Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gearing questions

I have a 1980 F150 Ranger and I plan on building a 400 stoker for it. I have a stock C6 and a stock 9" with 31 splined , 300 ratio. My new engine will be used for everyday driving and occasional towing. I guess my question would be, are the existing gear ratios going to work for the extra HP and Torque. (approx. 375hp & 450tq). Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Fellro

Staff member
It depends what you want for a n end result. They will work if you want to keep the same rpms for highway cruise. If you want it to run down the quarter mile faster and don't care about highway cruise, then no, they will need changed.

Fellro

Staff member
Durability-wise there really is no difference. The 3.00 will give you better highway fuel efficiency, but at the cost of not as snappy take off. If you would be doing mostly city type driving, the efficiency would be better with a 3.73 or such, as the mechanical advantage to get going is better.

You should have a factory issue 9 inch, which is a very commonly used rear end for drag racing. I think it should hold up for you. ;)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts