Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas in my Oil?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hello guys I have a question..
I just did a oil change on my 460 and it seems every time I check my oil its getting thinner and thinner well that would mean gas is getting in, but I don't smell gas and the oil wont burn but yet gets thinner and oil PSI keeps getting higher and higher.. Any ideas.

or coolent is getting in through a gasket. no gas smell but thinned oil.. if coolent is getting in, coolent will raise PSI because it can't be compressed because of water content.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I drained the Raid when I changed my intake out and just filled the Raid with water, wouldn't the water mix with the Oil and turn a light brown color?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I cleaned out my tanks then filled them with clean gas but for some reason the gas is still brown, i've try flushing the lines but still comes up funky brown color..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yes about 4 times, the gas coming from the pump is nasty, the lines are clean but the pump seems to be really dirty.

Tex..I don't see gas being the issue. 1, you'd smell it, i had a leaky fuel pump on my '86 ,,foam and smell. 2, you could put a match to it and it would ingnite were gas involved.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'll have to agree on fuel. A 460 is notorious for running rich. Make sure its not flooding. Choke sticking on a carbureted version is common. If the tank is rust encrusted, the gas will be constantly brown and nasty. If it gets into the oil pan, it probably wouldnt ignite. It would be a requirement to be atomized before it would combust.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If the tank is rust encrusted, the gas will be constantly brown and nasty.
Well you see thats the funny thing the gas in the lines leading up to the pump is clean, the gas in the tank is clean I pulled some out to see and its nice and clean so this one is keeping me stumped...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I think I found what it was, on the bottom of my Holley there is blot's that screws the carb together two of them lead in to the metering area's and gas is leaking out past them I lifted the carb up and watched gas trickling out.. it was flooding the engine but it still was running I've tried tightening them up and even put was sealant and gas started leaking out of the power valve hole.. So I have another piece of junk to replace..... Time to buy a edelbrock, I"d fix it but i'm just sick of this thing sitting in the back yard and i'm sick of messing with it..

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts