Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Pump? only started after thumping gas tank?!

I shut off engine while in drive-thru, and it would not start, only crank.
Thumped the bottom of gas tank with a shoe per a friends recommendation, and van started normally.
Problem has not yet recurred.
Friend thinks fuel pump is going, what do you guys think?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yep! Fuel pump. Thats always a good indicator.

DOH! I was afraid of that! I think that may be too big a job for me to tackle myself, any idea on how much that repair would cost?

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
How did you make out?

Just wondering how you made out...it has been a while, almost three months!

I have an '06. Granted, rust was not an issue in '09 when we replaced my fuel pump, but I thought it went very well. There was two of us, but with a floor jack and a cradle rigged up to hold the tank, it should go well.

A couple of thoughts...before starting, measure the depth of the tank, top to bottom. Then measure the clearance where you will need to slide the tank out from under the van. If not enough, 18"-24" lengths of 2x6 or 2x8 can be used to raise one or both sides.

Use as much gas out of it as possible before starting the job...a little goes a long wat when all in one end of the tank, which it will be if you try to manhandle the tank out. Soak threads of hanger bolts a week before and maybe again with a rust-buster type lube.

Not sure about the 90's vans, my '96 Crown Vic has the "aircraft style" retainers on the fuel and return lines. If so, a release tool can be bought inexpensively. Use the rust buster on the retainer before releasing, makes it go easier.

Since there hasn't been any activity in a while, I assume it has either continued working for you or you have fixed it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts