Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Cell??

I want to put a fuel cell in the bed. I don't know whether to get a circle track cell or a drag race cell......anyone have any input?

FTF'er
Watchya got goin' on that you want a fuel cell in the bed?

As far as I've seen, drag race fuel cells have the fuel outlet in the center of the tanks rear lower section, and circle track ones have it on the right side lower.
If you must do this make sure to get very clean fuel, as the pickup point is the lowest part and any dirt/water gets the fuel pump first. Also, unless you are making a drag racing truck try for the largest capacity possible. I forgot this- if you are spending any time driving anyplace other than the track get a baffled tank so all that fuel isn't moving around while driving. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Watchya got goin' on that you want a fuel cell in the bed?

Truck sat for years with fuel in the tank.....i figure by now i have a large quantity of bad tasting and smelling honey.....didn't wanna mess with taking the tank off the truck, cleaning it out, etc etc

Alot of factors on this....1979...sat for years...in michigan and florida.....i have limited tools..no clue how to clean a tank...looks cooler to put a 22 gal fuel cell in the bed

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I have a 20 gal aluminum fuel cell. in my F100. It uses foam for a baffle to keep it from sloshing. The truck isnt done, it will get a flatbed (but that truck project is on hold for now)

S1052271.jpg

S1052178.jpg

It's only a few bolts and hose clamps and 2 wires to drop the tank. A hammer and flat blade screwdriver will get the sender out by tapping the ring a quarter turn and lifting it out. Dump all the bad out, go to Napa for some tank cleaner, do that and reassemble.
Where I live you cannot have an unsecured fuel can or tank in the truck bed and it's a good amount of cutting/fitting to get a fuel cell in there. Not to mention jumping in/out to add fuel and then if you ever want to use it like a truck that cell will be in the way.
You can buy a new Spectre brand tank and sender for less money, why not go that way and have a gas gauge too!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
thats all temporary until the flat bed gets built. I had a ratchet strap on it at one point. :D

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You may be able to get a fuel tank cheaper than a fuel cell. Eitherway, I really shouldn't matter too much if you get a drag or circle track fuel cell.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
^^^ thats why I got the fuel cell. It was cheaper than a replacement tank.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
^^^ thats why I got the fuel cell. It was cheaper than a replacement tank.

Really? I figured replacement tanks were cheaper than fuel cells. But then again I guess it all depends on how big of fuel cell also. I for one like to have a big tank so I don't have to stop all the time and fill up.

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
When you see how much a fuel cell is going to cost you, you will reread the post about dropping/cleaning your tank!!smiliegitrdone
Probably more work installing/plumbing a cell than cleaning your tank too.
Good luck

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'd never worry about cleaning a tank. Just drop it out and replace with a new one. A 19 gal replacement through JBG is $100. However, if you are going to just stick in the bed or flatbed than I do agree that a fuel cell would be the way to go. Or you could spend some more cash and get a toolbox/fuel tank back there and have more use. I don't think that's legal, but neither are fuel cells for on-road applications at least in my area.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
My tank was advertised as 250 if I remember right, and no place had them in stock anyway. I got my 20 gallon fuel cell for 150ish. But remember, fuel cells are not "street legal"

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts