Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fram vs Motorcraft 6.0 Powerstroke

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I did some research at the local walmart for ford 6.0 diesel oil filters

I took the filter out of the packages for 2 different fram filters and one motorcraft(racor) and compared them. Identical. The cheap fram was about 5 dollars cheaper than the motorcraft which was a couple dollars less than the top shelf fram. All 3 the same patent numbers part numbers. Absolutely identical. So i took it one step further, skeptical of walmarts shenanigans. I bought the cheapest one " fram" and took it home for a lil comparison.

The one from the ford dealer vs the cheapest filters on the market. Here are the results.

uploadfromtaptalk1368674983107.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368674999598.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368675015411.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368675031599.jpg

Once again...identical

I saved over 15 dollars by purchasing a factory ford 6.0 diesel oil filter from walmart.

I almost didnt believe it and i didnt want to buy one at walmart until i walked down the oil isle for lawnmower oil and saw "motorcraft" filters stocked on the shelves. Then the light bulb went off. Id never buy a fram until this.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting....funny thing is that I used Fram for years without any issues. I switched when I went to synthetic.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Just the 6.0.. There are hundreds of videos and pics of opening up a fram vs better filters. Typically the fram is garbage quality..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Just the 6.0

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

I've read about and did some comparisons some time ago. It's evident that the same manufacturer is making both. The patent number printed on the cork gasket is even the same.... I got in the habit of buying the Motorcraft during my 5yr. 100k warranty just so if it came down to it, I had the filter that had Motorcraft written on it...

The last Motorcraft I bought at Wal-Mart here was only $1 higher than the Fram.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I remember an article several years ago that said every filter is different, and you have to do some serious research to find out what is actually going on your vehicle. In some cases the fram sucked, in other cases it was all the same rebadged stuff for every brand. Looks like he found a great example of how Fram shouldn't be totally dismissed.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The only point I was trying to make is that "brand doesn't mean anything."

It's probably a situation where there are 4-5 suppliers, and the 'brands' just brand the products that the suppliers make.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The only point I was trying to make is that "brand doesn't mean anything."

It's probably a situation where there are 4-5 suppliers, and the 'brands' just brand the products that the suppliers make.

Ryan

I agree fully.

I use mainly Sakura/silverline oil filters with some Fram and Donaldson depending on the application and cost - i'll go out on a limb here and say that i think the biggest cause of engine failure/wear when it comes to oil and filters is people not changing them on a regular basis.
Yes some filters are not as good as others but it's a case of horses for courses - you wouldn't put a $3.00 filter on your $10000.00 engine rebuild but that same filter will do just fine on your 20 year old corolla ......as long as you service it regularly.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The answer is this...

Racor is the OEM manufacture of the 6.0L oil and fuel filters and housings. They own and control the patent for the housings and the filters!! As it relates to OEM spec'd filters, you need to use Racor, Motorcraft or one of the few companies that buy the Racor filter and repackage it themselves... which Framm does.

Oil filters from WIX and other companies do NOT meet the OEM spec and are slightly off-sized and some even have detachable parts on the top of the filter to make it "will-fit" in order to get around the Racor patent.

Since day one, the Framm 6.0L oil filter is the same as Motorcraft, Racor and International (who made our 6.0L motors).

I buy my Rotella-Syn 5W-40 oil and either Framm or Motorcraft oil filters at Walmart and just buy what I need when I need it.

With 242,000 miles on my 2003 Excursion, all is well and my oil analysis results show it. The stock OEM made oil filter does a GREAT job of filtering... the key is change one's oil and filter every 5,000 miles regardless of the brand of oil you use.

Clean fresh oil using an OEM spec'd oil filter is the key.

Enjoy... Framm or Motorcraft (6.0L oil filters only) are the same and will take good care of your truck.

Cudo's to Framm for doing it right with this filter rather than trying to sell an inferior "will-fit" model.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Update!!!

Fram has changed! Bought a fram to put in dads truck, it came with so crap to keep the spring depressed as the filter wont hit the release. Promplty returned it and the motorcraft fits perfect.

it was good while it lasted!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ford Truck Articles