Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor Ride Along

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is there a Raptor theme with you this afternoon Brad??????

What the hell, they're only making 6000?!?!? I had plans of eventually having one :headbang:

They only made 500 copies of my Mustang and I have one... :p

Hopefully they will see that the demand is alot higher and make more of them. ;)

Hey Conner, did you and Tony ever get together on where your cars fall in that 500 produced units?

I found a site that I thought told me what number my car was out of the 500 but now I'm not so sure, and I cant find that same website for some reason. Maybe I could write to Ford.

mSaLL150

California Chapter member
I found a site that I thought told me what number my car was out of the 500 but now I'm not so sure, and I cant find that same website for some reason. Maybe I could write to Ford.
Send them the VIN and they can tell you anything about your vehicle.

I dont understand why anyone would buy the Raptor unless they want the name. For the same price, you could easily buy a regular F150 4x4 with the 5.4, put better gears in it, put on a custom long travel suspension, build up the tranny and supercharge the 5.4L and boom you are outperforming the Raptor.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

I dont understand why anyone would buy the Raptor unless they want the name. For the same price, you could easily buy a regular F150 4x4 with the 5.4, put better gears in it, put on a custom long travel suspension, build up the tranny and supercharge the 5.4L and boom you are outperforming the Raptor.
It's not quite that simple... The SVT team put a lot of engineering into that truck. If it were REALLY that easy, then we'd see a whole lot of joe-blows placing in similar positions as the Raptor did at Baja. That thing smoked the competition for being a STOCK truck.

Because they like the nostalgia of a new 390 (6.2L), they like the beefier styling, and hey... I love the name (see username)... :D

mSaLL150

It's not quite that simple... The SVT team put a lot of engineering into that truck. If it were REALLY that easy, then we'd see a whole lot of joe-blows placing in similar positions as the Raptor did at Baja. That thing smoked the competition for being a STOCK truck.
I wouldn't say smoked...it DID break down during the race. But regardless, not a bad performance. Still, it had a TON more money put into it than some of its competitors, and it WASNT close to stock. It had a performance tuned naturally aspirated 6.2 for well over 500 horsepower (stock is 400), a built up transmission/drivetrain, and had some other upgraded components and reduced weight for racing. All the exterior lighting, paintjob, all the little goodies...the price adds up quick. The regulations for Baja required MAJOR modification to the vehicle. You really think Ford would have entered their basic 38k Raptor in that race?! :rofl:

Not saying its not an awesome vehicle, but give me the 60k people will pay for the fully loaded version (which is a lot less money then they spent on the Baja truck) and you could build something that performs better than the production Raptor.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Didn't the guy in the video just say that the truck they were driving is equipped just the same as the truck they raced in Baja...? :confused:

mSaLL150

Didn't the guy in the video just say that the truck they were driving is equipped just the same as the truck they raced in Baja...? :confused:
The basic drivetrain components are the same, but the internals have been upgraded for the Baja truck and the tuning is far more aggressive. in the video you also hear him say "this truck is bone stock with no tuning etc"....the Baja truck was modified BIG TIME.

Hell my personal F150 has been custom dyno tuned and gained about 40hp and it felt ridiculously stronger when I did it. I cant even imagine what an extra 120hp feels like with reduced vehicle weight and better gearing...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The basic drivetrain components are the same, but the internals have been upgraded for the Baja truck and the tuning is far more aggressive. in the video you also hear him say "this truck is bone stock with no tuning etc"....the Baja truck was modified BIG TIME.

Hell my personal F150 has been custom dyno tuned and gained about 40hp and it felt ridiculously stronger when I did it. I cant even imagine what an extra 120hp feels like with reduced vehicle weight and better gearing...
Fair enough... Can you cite sources that show that the Raptor in Baja was heavily modified over stock or are you just assuming?

Last edited:

mSaLL150

Fair enough... Can you cite sources that show that the Raptor in Baja was heavily modified over stock or are you just assuming?
http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/raptor-conquers-baja/

"Baja is real man's motor racing; half of the trucks that start don't finish, so that the Raptor did is already impressive. But it did more than just survive, placing on the podium in Class 8 (as the truck isn't in production yet, it couldn't run with other production trucks in Stock Full). It finished using some bits from the stock Raptor llike the transmission, brakes, axles, and frame.
Moreover, the truck used a lightly warmed over 500 hp version of the Raptor's 6.2L V8--consumers will be offered essentially the same engine. "Even with the extreme capability of the F-150 SVT Raptor right out of the box, we know our customers will want to take its performance to an even higher level," said Ford Racing sales and marketing manager Jamie Allison. "This race truck will be invaluable to Ford Racing as we examine what performance parts we'll be able to offer customers for the production Raptor."

Just look at the pictures of it...you can visually see some of the modification to the vehicle. Tire rack, rear buper rack, different tires, TONS of lighting which is expensive, rollcage etc just to point out a few. Who knows what else is inside the truck that is different. And with 500hp, you know some big work was done under the hood to prep for this race....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/raptor-conquers-baja/

"Baja is real man's motor racing; half of the trucks that start don't finish, so that the Raptor did is already impressive. But it did more than just survive, placing on the podium in Class 8 (as the truck isn't in production yet, it couldn't run with other production trucks in Stock Full). It finished using some bits from the stock Raptor llike the transmission, brakes, axles, and frame.
Moreover, the truck used a lightly warmed over 500 hp version of the Raptor's 6.2L V8--consumers will be offered essentially the same engine. "Even with the extreme capability of the F-150 SVT Raptor right out of the box, we know our customers will want to take its performance to an even higher level," said Ford Racing sales and marketing manager Jamie Allison. "This race truck will be invaluable to Ford Racing as we examine what performance parts we'll be able to offer customers for the production Raptor."
Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but the quote that you pulled out basically states that, yes they modified the truck, but they are planning on offering those mods in the production Raptor. Therefore you can pretty much buy the performance that they had in Baja; as I was saying before :p

Just look at the pictures of it...you can visually see some of the modification to the vehicle. Tire rack, rear buper rack, different tires, TONS of lighting which is expensive, rollcage etc just to point out a few. Who knows what else is inside the truck that is different.
Cmon none of those are performance parts... They have nothing to do with the performance of the truck in that race.

mSaLL150

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but the quote that you pulled out basically states that, yes they modified the truck, but they are planning on offering those mods in the production Raptor. Therefore you can pretty much buy the performance that they had in Baja; as I was saying before :p

Cmon none of those are performance parts... They have nothing to do with the performance of the truck in that race.
Aftermarket will have them available, you will not be able to buy this Baja truck off the Ford showroom (especially the 500hp engine, no way Jose). Aftermarket will make the extra power possible, but I can guarantee you it will void your warranty...just like ANY other vehicle they offer.

And if you think stock lighting will get you through the dust out in Baja, think again...its absolutely performance oriented and frankly required out there. The sand dune tires are pretty important...the spare tire racks may be for show, but they ended up using the spare. And reduced weight isnt performance oriented??!!? Seriously Chris, you should know that! And if I was driving a truck through the desert at 100mph+, it sure as hell better have a damn rollcage! Beyond performance, a lot of it was probably required to even enter the truck.

Rumors have it that Roush is developing a supercharger for the 6.2 = great news. I can't even imagine the possibilities with a supercharged 6.2L, 6spd tranny, rear locker and stock 4.10 diff gears.

Some problems the truck encountered in Baja:
-broken passenger leaf spring perch and passenger leaf spring
-over heating
-driveshaft swap
-ran the whole race in 2wd but got stuck in a deep soot pit (other trucks got stuck here too though)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts