Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Ecoboost Warning Part 2 My Findings

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
As promised here is the follow up with my findings and the fix for the 2.0l Ecoboost I mentioned in the previous video. What it came down to was excessive coking on the backside of the intake valves and by doing a simple 5 minute cleaning the problem was eliminated. Now whether there is also a valve stem seal leak on #2 is yet to be determined.

In conclusion there is a definite issue with carbon and oil coking on the intake valves that needs to be addressed sooner than later by Ford with some kind of a cleaning method. As mentioned in the video if there is anything substantial that comes down the pipe from Ford on how to resolve this issue in the long term I will be sure to let all you Ecoboost owner know.

Fellro

Staff member
Good info to know. My mom has a 2012 Edge with the 2.0, and as far as I know, no misfire issues as yet. She has around 130,000 miles on it, so you can see she runs it lot, so not sure if the longer running makes any difference. With the DI setup, cleaning could be a bit trickier, as the old way of dumping something like Sea Foam through the PCV hose may mot work as well with the forced induction. Will be watching intently for any further findings you have on this matter. Thank you very much for sharing this!

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
Good info to know. My mom has a 2012 Edge with the 2.0, and as far as I know, no misfire issues as yet. She has around 130,000 miles on it, so you can see she runs it lot, so not sure if the longer running makes any difference. With the DI setup, cleaning could be a bit trickier, as the old way of dumping something like Sea Foam through the PCV hose may mot work as well with the forced induction. Will be watching intently for any further findings you have on this matter. Thank you very much for sharing this!

Oh yeah running it like that it must of been mostly highway and has the same effect as the old engines. Yes the seafoam and other induction cleaning methods are found to damage the turbos on these. I have a whole other video on those details.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts