Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

First Underhood Shots of Ford's New 4.4-Liter V-8 Diesel Engine

Vince and Dave, stock up the first aid kits...

First Underhood Shots of Ford's New 4.4-Liter V-8 Diesel Engine

intro.jpg

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
is it turbo? i cant see the turboooo

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
wasup with the newer superduty twin turbo getting horrible MPGs?

Michigan
4.4L V8? i thought it would be a V6. Pretty small bore and stroke eh?

Damn, pretty sick. Im loving the torque numbers. To bad its not an I6 diesel... The 4.4L is is looking awesome... :D :guns:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
This is a little off the subject but why dose ford make a v8 diesel, if a v8 is so much better then a straight 6 why aren't all the big rigs tractors Bulldozers Ect running v8s

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
This is a little off the subject but why dose ford make a v8 diesel, if a v8 is so much better then a straight 6 why aren't all the big rigs tractors Bulldozers Ect running v8s

Simple- big rigs aren't pickups- although many do run V8 and V12 designs. If you think about it, Dodge is the only one marketing a I-6 diesel, and that's just because they adapted an existing medium-duty truck design instead of starting from scratch. An inline motor presents a number of packaging headaches and additional weight, so it isn't well adapted to a light-duty application. Mercedes Benz, the largest manufacturers of diesel engines on the planet, has switched all their inline light duty motors to "V" designs in the last few years.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Cedes can go wash their mouths out with buck shot, when I use to work on trucks there wasn't a shop we could find that had any thing good to say about those rolling junk heaps. Not disagreeing with you in the slightest about the v8 and v12 I know they make them but to see them in a rig is well rare to say the lest.
But the Cummings has both ford and GM diesels beat, yes they all make in the same HP and TR ranges but heck just look at the Numbers
Size 6.0L 5.9L 6.6L
V8 I6 V8
Horsepower 325 @ 3300 325 @ 2900 310 @ 3100
Torque 570 @ 2000 600 @ 1600 590 @1600
the the I6 is lighter then the V's not bashing ford =) just seems like they could make it so much better and rip the doors off the Comp,
I didn't list the 7.3 I know is in the 200+ Hp range and over 500+tr but you can only get that in the f450s if I remember right.. But any ways if they do make this bad boy I sure would love to get my hands on one =)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ford's got some brilliant people on their R&D team, as does any auto manufacturer. There's most likely more reasons why Ford doesn't pursue an inline engine, reasons that a regular joe shmoe like us wouldn't understand.

TexasNomad said:
I didn't list the 7.3 I know is in the 200+ Hp range and over 500+tr but you can only get that in the f450s if I remember right..
Ehhh... Huh? The 7.3L was the precursor to the 6.0L. It was used in all diesel trucks F250 and up (as well as econo vans) starting somewhere around 1992 with the introduction to the 7.3L IDI and then the 7.3L PSD a bit later in mid 1994.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ford's got some brilliant people on their R&D team, as does any auto manufacturer. There's most likely more reasons why Ford doesn't pursue an inline engine, reasons that a regular joe shmoe like us wouldn't understand. Ya thats why they are going belly up with their Brilliant teams.

Ehhh... Huh? The 7.3L was the precursor the 6.0L. It was used it all diesel trucks F250 and up (as well as econo vans) starting somewhere around 1992 with the introduction to the 7.3L IDI and then the 7.3L PSD a bit later in mid 1994.
I didn't know that, I didn't fallow or know much of diesel lines and years just numbers back when I was thinking of getting a Diesel I looked in to them some.
I didn't know they were not making 7.3's any more I thought they were but then again I don't keep up with all fords lines There's some brilliance for ya stop making a power house tried and true and go with less power and more money... But then again I really should retract that, its not Fords fault the EPA along with all the other liberal global whining hacks forced higher emissions ratings..

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Cedes can go wash their mouths out with buck shot, when I use to work on trucks there wasn't a shop we could find that had any thing good to say about those rolling junk heaps. Not disagreeing with you in the slightest about the v8 and v12 I know they make them but to see them in a rig is well rare to say the lest.
But the Cummings has both ford and GM diesels beat, yes they all make in the same HP and TR ranges but heck just look at the Numbers
Size 6.0L 5.9L 6.6L
V8 I6 V8
Horsepower 325 @ 3300 325 @ 2900 310 @ 3100
Torque 570 @ 2000 600 @ 1600 590 @1600
the the I6 is lighter then the V's not bashing ford =) just seems like they could make it so much better and rip the doors off the Comp,
I didn't list the 7.3 I know is in the 200+ Hp range and over 500+tr but you can only get that in the f450s if I remember right.. But any ways if they do make this bad boy I sure would love to get my hands on one =)

Too easy.

Duramax Diesel 6.6L V8 Turbo Engine

365 horsepower @ 3200 rpm
660 lb.-ft. of torque @ 1600 rpm

Say what you want about Mercedes, they produce more light/medium/heavy/marine diesels than anyone else on the planet. They also held the patent on the diesel engine until it expired, which also makes them the first mass-produced diesel engine manufacturer in the world.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
[QUOTE
Say what you want about Mercedes, they produce more light/medium/heavy/marine diesels than anyone else on the planet. They also held the patent on the diesel engine until it expired, which also makes them the first mass-produced diesel engine manufacturer in the world.[/QUOTE]

think what you will about them, i've worked on to many of those heaps to think any thing else, i don't care how they are totted around the world, still garbage.They are for sitting in front of Doctors office's and thats about it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts