Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F250 Price

I looked around and couldn't find what I needed to so I figure ask. Had a 88 F-250. It died 5 years ago. Got a Chevy and it is not the same. So I have been looking around. What is the best price people are getting on a

09 F-250 Super duty XL Regular Cab
8' bed
4x4
V-10 Gas motor
Automatic
Snow plow package
????

The sticker price of close to 32k made me about pass out. Thanks everyone for the help.

You might be able to talk them down to $27-28k but used would probably be your best bet for lower than that...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
You might want to have a lookie over on kbb.com and edmunds.com, they should have invoice posted there. There's also a site out there where you can see what, if any, the factory to dealer incentives are; I don't recall the site name but maybe someone else will. You will want to know about this money (if it exists at this point in time or when you go shopping) before trying to make a deal as you might want to use it for leverage or ideally try to put some of it in your pocket. Don't forget about the holdback either, unless something changed it's 3% of the sticker price minus shipping. Also, try to find one that hasn't sat on the lot for much time, that way they aren't into it very deep (ie, very little interest paid by the dealer to put it on his lot).

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
$ off of sticker might, on the outside, be good enough for many folks, but getting it below invoice is a financially better goal. After all, what price did the dealer pay for it? Uh huh, you got it, excluding factory-to-dealer incentives. This is why you need to find the invoice price.

*What I, as a consumer, would really like to know is what did it cost the factory to make? The real cost, engineering, marketing, materials, labor, etc etc.

$ off of sticker might, on the outside, be good enough for many folks, but getting it below invoice is a financially better goal. After all, what price did the dealer pay for it? Uh huh, you got it, excluding factory-to-dealer incentives. This is why you need to find the invoice price.

*What I, as a consumer, would really like to know is what did it cost the factory to make? The real cost, engineering, marketing, materials, labor, etc etc.

The real invoice price, not their bullsh1t fake invoice that they use to play their games with you...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Well, umm, that would be a given ;)

The real invoice price, not their bullsh1t fake invoice that they use to play their games with you...

Bingo. That is what I want to know. So someone out there has to have a idea. What are people able to chew a dealer down to on one of these?

Also finding one that has been sitting for awhile can be good becuase they want to move it and not keep eating money on it. Depends on the manager at the time you try toi make the deal. Thanks guys keep it coming. :)

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Check out post #3 again for what should be useful info for you to determine invoice and a few other important things.

Last new one I bought, I wanted to make good use of my time by not play a fishing game that lasted all afternoon Therefore, when the salesman told me "I'll take this to my manager", I looked at him and said "not a problem, but we do have 30 minutes to agree on price". I then looked at my watch and of course, I made sure he saw me do that. I drove away in a new chariot, washed, plastic covers removed and all that crap, a hair under invoice (figured that out before I went to the dealer), and I was out the door in 60 minutes. Buying new should be a pleasant experience, not a battle.

*Look at the bright side, when you buy new you know what invoice is. Buy used and you have no idea what the dealer is into it for. You can only try to figure out, in advance, what a fair price is.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Bingo. That is what I want to know. So someone out there has to have a idea. What are people able to chew a dealer down to on one of these?

Also finding one that has been sitting for awhile can be good becuase they want to move it and not keep eating money on it. Depends on the manager at the time you try toi make the deal. Thanks guys keep it coming. :)

Not in the biz now, but was for 30+ years. A couple of random thoughts about a dramatically changed car biz in the last 12 months.

1) The economy, and car sales, are in the crapper. no secret there. Unfortunately (for the consumer), manufacturers and dealers have also realized that no amount of discounting will change this. That means, profit per unit, not sales or market share, has become the order of the day- unless you're a GM or Chrysler Dealer that had his franchise pulled and is looking to liquidate for whatever they can. Even then, there are limits- those vehicles may still be run through auction if price targets aren't met on the lot.

2) An old stock unit on the lot does cost money- but not to the people approving your car deal (Sales Manager's). Actually, to them, it's more desireable sitting on the lot than getting blown out at a loss. Why? The loss isn't realized (meaning, showing up on someone's payplan or the dealership's books) until the unit is actually sold at a loss. Until then, it's neither an expense nor a profit. This explains why some dealerships have 1-2 yr old new cars and trucks in stock.They're hoping to sell the unit at daylight or better, and will bide their time to do so. *Salesmanager's get paid by Department Profit. Any sale at a loss is a direct hit to their paychecks. The Dealer principal absorbs the flooring loss, but he's on a different payplan... and generally doesn't desk/approve deals.

My advice- get in touch with the fleet or internet manager at two or three local dealers, see what they have in stock, and what they'll sell one for. Based on the description of what you're looking for, I actually think that may be a tough unit to find (serious).

Anyone should be able to see a factory invoice of a vehicle. I don't know of any dealers that dummy them up. Why? don't have to- the invoice doesn't necessarily reflect the actual cost of the vehicle. there may be other incentives (factory to dealer, floorplan credits, volume-based incentives, etc) that aren't reflected on that piece of paper. To make it simple, just get two or three quotes, and go with the dealership you feel most comfortable with (that may not necessarily be the cheapest one, but we all know that game).

Last edited:
I know when my dad bought this truck (keep in mind this was '89) he was able to custom order it at fleet price. That kind of a deal might be smart to look for.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts