Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F-650 now with 6.8L V10

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
1. No updated emblems?

2. What's up with the old school steering wheel?

3. Hmm.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ooooo...I would rock the hell outta that. I gotta question the gas move though. Dunno what modern technology has done to help but I remember our F700 with the 429 pulled mid-single digit fuel numbers and the same truck equipped with a diesel was getting darn near triple the mpg's. Depending on use it may not take that long to make up the difference on initial price. Hell, just did a little figuring and at a rate of 15,000 miles a year, say the rig goes from 5mpg's (gas) to 12mpg's (diesel)...it should only take about 18 months to break even...definitely inside 2 years. That said, Dman says his rig with a Cat 330 only gets what 6 mpg's? But his is 4wd. Also, his rig should put down damn near double the tq numbers and roughly the same hp numbers. If the truck actually gets used, I don't see this being a beneficial move.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hacking of the account. next time don't stay signed in baby

C'mon Ann...you can do better than that. You could have had some serious fun posting as him.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cat has not been available since around 2007-8 if I recall. You can keep the Kenworth or Pete...the Ford cab is bigger :D. I can get 7.5 mpg in the summer under ideal conditions...dunno about what that gaspot will yield, esp. with some weight on it!

Krafty

Missouri Chapter member
Cat has not been available since around 2007-8 if I recall. You can keep the Kenworth or Pete...the Ford cab is bigger :D. I can get 7.5 mpg in the summer under ideal conditions...dunno about what that gaspot will yield, esp. with some weight on it!

Your getting 7.5 with the cummins, I'm guessing?? Thats not to terrible, how is the cummins I have heard they are bad on turbos in that size truck??

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would buy a GM the day I buy a Cummins :D. My truck is a 2005 with a Cat C7. It is the only engine that would work with the 4WD conversion. That figure was imperial so subtract 20% for US mileage...so 6mpg. My mileage varies from 4-7.5 depending on how many heaters are running, grade of fuel (summer/winter) and how often I am in 4WD. I wish a C9 was available as some hills I get down to 50 mph...normal weight is around 28k.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
...normal weight is around 28k.

:drop:

BTW the reason why you can't get a Cat motor in those trucks anymore is because Caterpillar quit making OTR diesel engines is because ever tightening emission standards made it too costly to keep up with all of the new emmisions rules. I'm thinking that in the offroad community they make enough profit to cut the on-highway engine line.

Krafty

Missouri Chapter member
I would buy a GM the day I buy a Cummins :D. My truck is a 2005 with a Cat C7. It is the only engine that would work with the 4WD conversion. That figure was imperial so subtract 20% for US mileage...so 6mpg. My mileage varies from 4-7.5 depending on how many heaters are running, grade of fuel (summer/winter) and how often I am in 4WD. I wish a C9 was available as some hills I get down to 50 mph...normal weight is around 28k.

Ya I am about the same on mileage, I have the older 3126. We run anywhere from unloaded to 36k so I am kind of all over the board but I think she averages around 7.

:drop:
BTW the reason why you can't get a Cat motor in those trucks anymore is because Caterpillar quit making OTR diesel engines is because ever tightening emission standards made it too costly to keep up with all of the new emmisions rules. I'm thinking that in the offroad community they make enough profit to cut the on-highway engine line.

Ya that makes sense I completly forgot about that. I know they make a bigger cummins, an 8.3 I think. I wonder if that is an option.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts