Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F-450 Steam Engine

Here we go again!

Our 2008 F-440 with 15,000 miles on it has become a coolant drinker. 5 gals of anti-freeze in a couple of weeks. One gallon just pulling it out of the bay and backing it back in. Puddle of coolant at tail pipe.

Drove it to the dealer and had a steam trail for a quarter mile behind it. After 9 miles it cleared up. But when I stopped and restarted the steam retruned.

After waiting 3 weeks for an appointment at local dealer I took it to them. They had it for 5 days before announcing they found it needed a new EGR and oil cooler. Now I have to wait 4 days before they can get it back to me.

Why are the Ford engines such a problem?

We had the same problem with our 2004 F-350 6.0 engine after 30,000 miles last year.

We are picking up a new F-450 2010 next week. Is this going to be a problem with this one also?:(

blacksnapon

Staff member
Here we go again!

Our 2008 F-440 with 15,000 miles on it has become a coolant drinker. 5 gals of anti-freeze in a couple of weeks. One gallon just pulling it out of the bay and backing it back in. Puddle of coolant at tail pipe.

Drove it to the dealer and had a steam trail for a quarter mile behind it. After 9 miles it cleared up. But when I stopped and restarted the steam retruned.

After waiting 3 weeks for an appointment at local dealer I took it to them. They had it for 5 days before announcing they found it needed a new EGR and oil cooler. Now I have to wait 4 days before they can get it back to me.

Why are the Ford engines such a problem?

We had the same problem with our 2004 F-350 6.0 engine after 30,000 miles last year.

We are picking up a new F-450 2010 next week. Is this going to be a problem with this one also?:(
Its not so much a problem working on, but its a "paperwork" problem. Proper diagnostics have to be performed (pressure tests, electronic tests, etc.) Then you submit your findings to FORD for prior approval. Many times they want you to perform more tests still, and report your findings. Then you may do the repair. If the parts dept. doesn't have the part in question, more time to order and shipping time. After fixing it, then another day to verify repairs.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I think the "problem" he is talking about is both trucks drinking coolant, not the amount of time to repair it...

Will the vehicle continue to experience this type of problem even after they make these repairs? If it is going to fail every 15,000 miles it will become too expensive after the warranty runs out.

Has anyone reported this type of problem with the 2010's?

I forgot to mention that while I was driving the truck to the dealer the instrument panel lights would go off for about a minute and then come back on. This would happen about every 5 minutes in a 20 minute drive. Gages appeared to continue working but odometer would go blank and the panel lights would go off.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
no its not.. it will be a revised part that is gonna be used in the repair.
you shouldnt ever have that problem again,

and bout the statement of "Why are the Ford engines such a problem?"

all brands have their issues, just so happens Fords in past years were with some diesels and Cylinder head designs on the gas V8's. and those are all in the trucks so almost every recent truck has a "chance" to have a problem. But many MANY dont ever have an issue as long as it gets its regular maintenance.

Each vehicle in our fleet has the oil changed at 5-6,000 miles including oil and air filters. We use Ford superduty oil and Ford recomended coolant. Each of our 4 ambulances run about 10,000 miles per year. We get rid of them at 70,000 miles, normally just before major parts start giving us trouble. The last several years major problems pop up before then. The bigest being front wheel hubs on the 4 wheel drive units.

Got the truck back yesterday afternoon. Replaced 2 EGR coolers, 3 gaskets and 3 gals of anti-freeze. 4 studs, 2 bolts and 6 hex nuts.

When you power up a hill and then back off, the turbo sounds like a 757 going into reverse thrust.

Same song, different verse. THE 2008 F-450 Disel is drinking antifreeze again. In 70 miles it drank 2gals of coolant. THIS IS FORD WORKMANSHIP AT ITS FINEST. I WANT TO TALK TO A ZONE MANAGER OR WHAT EVER THE "DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING" POSITION IS CALLED.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Wow sucks you are having so many issues.

Yep, a lot of issues with our ambulances.
2004 F-350 - Blowing coolant out of resivoir, over 4 times to shop still in shop
2008 F-450 - Leaking coolant as stated above
2010 F-450 - Can't put fuel in it unless I dribble it in.

2002 F-350 being worked to death because of the failure of newer units. It is a 7.3 the last of the decent fords. No complaints on this unit.

Ford says the 2004 6.0 needs headgaskets. Told them that 4 years ago. Now that it is out of the mandated extended waranty they are ready to fix it.

I think traveling 1000 miles to repair an engine when the local dealer is suppose to have trained mechanics will be too hard a sell to our treasurer.

I have a lot of respect for you guys and just wish we were located closer.

It is a shame Ford and other manufactures make it so hard on the mechanics and dealers to do what is right and fix it the first time when it is evident what the problem is. They have to follow the scrip as wtitten by the higher ups. (bean counters)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts