Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust Thoughts

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Like has been said, stay away from glasspacks for a more subtle sound.

Flowmaster was the first, and is my personal preference for mufflers, but they can be pricey. Many people use Magnaflow and are pleased with them... You pretty much can find something for whatever your price range is...

primetime

sawmill slave
I`m a Flowmaster kind of guy. Specifically the 10 series. I`ve had them on a 460 and a 302 and loved the sound and always got a lot of compliments.

A guy I know around here put some Magnaflows on his 302/5-speed truck. I liked them. They reminded me of glass packs, but without the harshness for lack of a better word.

I`ve also used Flowtech Terminators. I had them on a 351w and a Cleveland, and they sounded good. I got compliments on those to.

The exhaust shop in town was installing these for awile, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17656/, They sounded pretty good. Had some good volume when you stepped on it.

When I put duals on my F-250 I`m going to try some Cherry Bomb Extremes. I`ve been itching to hear them. Probably because they remind me of 10 series Flowmasters.

As for tailpipe exit, that usually boils down to preference/budget. I like behind each tire so I can hear them, and they tend to hang out a little longer then when they both come out under the bumper.

I would put an crossover pipe on it. Helps with the low end torque.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Personally, I don't like Flowmasters mainly because of the drone and that wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't that they drone at around 2,000rpm and that's where my truck cruises so I ditched them and I'm running a pair of 36" glasspacks and couldn't be happier with their sound, and the fact that there's no drone. Probably helps that I have the dual 5" stacks as they give that bit of an echo. For me, I won't go back to the FM's on the truck.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Personally, I don't like Flowmasters mainly because of the drone and that wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't that they drone at around 2,000rpm and that's where my truck cruises so I ditched them and I'm running a pair of 36" glasspacks and couldn't be happier with their sound, and the fact that there's no drone. Probably helps that I have the dual 5" stacks as they give that bit of an echo. For me, I won't go back to the FM's on the truck.

my Gibson SuperSport truck exhaust had the worst drone ever at the same rpm, ditched it too. Nothing worse than drone in the cab :(

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Let's not forget that cherrybomb makes a line of mufflers as well.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Agreed Roy, I got so tired of it because I'd get out of the truck and have that def feeling. Didn't matter where I put them either, if they were under the truck the drone was there...

Let's not forget that cherrybomb makes a line of mufflers as well.

I'm probably going with Cherry Bomb on the Vic, I like the quality and sound of their products.

primetime

sawmill slave
My Flowmasters didn`t drone. Not on the 302 with shorty headers and 2 1/4" pipe, and not on the 460 with long tubes and 3" pipe. They`re a little different than most Flowmasters though. Here they are. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-842515/

Here`s the Cherry Bomb Extreme. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IMM-7426/

And the worst drone I`ve experienced? My F-250. 351, shorties, dual 2 1/4" pipes y-ed into a 3" with an 18" glasspack and 3" tailpipe. It was terrible at 2000-2200 rpm (35 mph). Good thing it cruised around 2600.

primetime

sawmill slave
The best advice is to listen to sound clips, and talk to people who have a sound you like. Pipe size, engine, tip size, it all plays a factor. Try not to get to wrapped up with the BS. Just find a muffler with a sound you like and run it. They can always be changed for something different. That`s the beauty of it all.

from what i understand depends on where the mufflers are depends on the noise of it. My dad had a dodge and when he got it the mufflers were at the end of the box it was like muffler and than tips. Sounded nice but wasnt loud enough for him so he moved them to right infront of the rear end, and holy cow driving it down the interstate u couldnt hear yourself think. It was crazy!!! But its all depends on what sound u want really. 3' pipe with some nice high flow mufflers should still be quite enough but should get u a nice rumble when u get on him. I was thinking about stax on mine but they just wont fit right since the gas tank is right there and to hell with cutting holes in the box to run them up. That looks stupid on all accounts anyway.

I don't know why, but I remember being told the optimum place to put the mufflers was at the initial hottest point of the exiting exhaust. The way I was told to do it was a thin layer of spray paint on the exhaust pipes (usually 2-3 ft behind the collector) is where you'll notice the burn off, and that's where you wan the mufflers. As I said, I don't have a clue why. You want the mufflers at an equal distant to maintain proper back pressure. I've always been a fan of 2.25-2.5" pipes for stock to mild engines. Remember with glass packs, the shorter they are and the bigger the diameter, the louder they are. As for straight pipes, they're pretty loud and obnoxious, have to be careful with noise laws. Straight pipes are usually reserved for folks that think it sounds cool.

Actually, the point where the thin coat of paint burned off was the indicator of where to install the crossover pipe. You were supposed to do this at the speed where you wanted the most power. An example would be highway speed for towing/hauling. I read about this in Smokey Yunicks 'Power Secrets' book, but he used a line drawn down the pipe with a crayon, instead. :D

Ford Truck Articles