Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust Thoughts

Something on my mind. Why is it that i see most mufflers are up towards the front of the vehicle? Some are middle. I haven't seen to many at the rear, but I know they are there. Why is this? To me, it seems like the placement of the muffler would be kind of like a trombone works. Will it not give a different note in relation to where the muffler is placed in the pipe? What if, in a duel exhaust, had one muffler up close, Like connected directly to the header (header muffler?) and on the other side had the muffler mounted right at the tail pipe. Would this like give a very distinct sound? Or just sound trashy?

Since I can't really afford good quality headers just now. Also the thoughts you guys put in my head about breaking exhaust bolts off really put me off (for now) So, I would like to duel my truck out eventually of course. Just thinking about where the mufflers should be. I have changed my mind several times on where I would like the exhaust to dump. I think I will have the pipes ran all the way to the back bumper. Also thinking about putting a couple short glass packs right there at the rear. Is this good thinking? Or I am sure there is good reason mufflers are closer to the front. What think? Thanks Gents

Catatonic

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'd put the mufflers in the place where they could be best tucked up to avoid damage. Dual 2'' would do the trick.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
4" is way to big.

Muffler location often is dictated by where it will
Fit.
Ideally you want
Them equally distant from the head to maintain even back pressure

Ok, so if say my pipes were 2 Inch and ran from front to back. Could I get away with no mufflers? Would it sound trashy? How about letting off the throttle like when going down a hill. Wouldn't it snap and pop like a 8itc#!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't know why, but I remember being told the optimum place to put the mufflers was at the initial hottest point of the exiting exhaust. The way I was told to do it was a thin layer of spray paint on the exhaust pipes (usually 2-3 ft behind the collector) is where you'll notice the burn off, and that's where you wan the mufflers. As I said, I don't have a clue why. You want the mufflers at an equal distant to maintain proper back pressure. I've always been a fan of 2.25-2.5" pipes for stock to mild engines. Remember with glass packs, the shorter they are and the bigger the diameter, the louder they are. As for straight pipes, they're pretty loud and obnoxious, have to be careful with noise laws. Straight pipes are usually reserved for folks that think it sounds cool.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Straight pipes are usually reserved for knuckle dragging, mouth breathing folks that drive a Cummins in a Dodge

Fixed for you Ben :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Roy, I like this very much. I have seen complex systems with like cross pipes and although I'm sure there is science behind it? I guess I don't care to understand so much of it. I like this, really. Does it sound good? I mean does it make you smile when you shovel the coal to it? I myself have a hangup about glass or steel packs. I like the sound. We have a long driveway with several neighbors to either side and I want my neighbors to know when I'm coming home. Not obnoxious noise. Just sweet Ford music. Ya know? I truly hate a ratty exhaust sound. I want distinction. I want my sound. Not someone else's sound. Ya know? Thanks Roy and I have visited your gallery as well as many others. I plan to get them all visited. It will just take a while. Yea, I tell you guys what! Most of the Fords in here can damn near promote a stiffy! I guess that's some more of them FTF symptoms? Yea, no doubt.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
good morning:) since I use the truck for my work, it has to be presentable, so no loud exhaust, but it does sound nice and I recently put on shorty headers which really made the idle nice and more sensitive gas pedal. No big gains, but definitely notice a difference. The X pipe helps for sure, but I just wanted a straight off the manifolds, keep the cost down, true duel system, still cost a bit, but you get what you pay for.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you want a nice tone, I'd stay away from the glasspacks. The crossover pipe will improve the torque a bit at the bottom end and also smooth the sound out.

Ok, No glass packs. Got it! Tell me Sir. Tell me what to be looking for in a pair of mufflers. Right down to the brand name. Where is best to exit the exhaust for best sound. Stuff like that. Everyone, please feel free to chime in. I am working a deal with my Granddad and if all comes out right, he will put new exhaust on my truck as payment for my labor. I'll fill ya in on whats up later. Thanks guys.

Giggity

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
it's such a personal call where the final exit will be. the exhaust sound will for the most part, not be that different, so it comes down to what look you want.

mufflers brands,
Thrush, Magna-Flow, Flow Master, Heart Throb, list goes on, your budget will play the biggest factor.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't know why, but I remember being told the optimum place to put the mufflers was at the initial hottest point of the exiting exhaust. The way I was told to do it was a thin layer of spray paint on the exhaust pipes (usually 2-3 ft behind the collector) is where you'll notice the burn off, and that's where you wan the mufflers. As I said, I don't have a clue why. You want the mufflers at an equal distant to maintain proper back pressure. I've always been a fan of 2.25-2.5" pipes for stock to mild engines. Remember with glass packs, the shorter they are and the bigger the diameter, the louder they are. As for straight pipes, they're pretty loud and obnoxious, have to be careful with noise laws. Straight pipes are usually reserved for folks that think it sounds cool.

That is my understanding for the location of a crossover pipe if you choose to use one. Mufflers can be about anywhere, but for performance, need to e minimally restricting. I have not seen a consistent location, other than typically on trucks , the mufflers are around the middle for space reasons most likely. When you look at cars, most these days have them behind the rear axle, with about6" f tail pipe. If it were much of a performance gain, you can be assured that the factory would likely put them where that gain can be found.

BTW, the Cummins in the 92 F350 is straight piped.... :p (mostly because the exhaust fell off to the point of disintegration. It isn't terrible loud with the turbo...)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes Roger, but $5 sez you don't drive on residential streets at 2am on a worknight and open the throttle to see how much noise you can make!

Fellro

Staff member
No, it is a country hauler, but I also have enough pipe to help a little... well, it used to anyway.It does get past the cab. I also don't have the stack sticking above either...

Truthfully, the turbo does muffle, and the motor isn't turned up to excess either. I prefer not to waste fuel in smoke...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That is my understanding for the location of a crossover pipe if you choose to use one. Mufflers can be about anywhere, but for performance, need to e minimally restricting. I have not seen a consistent location, other than typically on trucks , the mufflers are around the middle for space reasons most likely. When you look at cars, most these days have them behind the rear axle, with about6" f tail pipe. If it were much of a performance gain, you can be assured that the factory would likely put them where that gain can be found.

BTW, the Cummins in the 92 F350 is straight piped.... :p (mostly because the exhaust fell off to the point of disintegration. It isn't terrible loud with the turbo...)

That's exactly what I was thinking about...thanks for jogging my memory and the correction.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts