Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

engin temp?

1997 ford f150 4.6ltr motor 250,000km
New radiator and heater core less than one year, Engine will not get to operating temp. We have changed the rad cap , thermostat ( ford part ) back filled through the heater hose, The highest temp recorded at thermostat housing is 72 deg celcus or 176 farh. If we hold the clutch fan it will increase to 85 aprox or 202 farh.

Any body know what I am missing.

James

blacksnapon

Staff member
New radiator and heater core less than one year, Engine will not get to operating temp. We have changed the rad cap , thermostat ( ford part ) back filled through the heater hose, The highest temp recorded at thermostat housing is 72 deg celcus or 176 farh. If we hold the clutch fan it will increase to 85 aprox or 202 farh.

James
It might be a new thermostat, but is it the correct one? There are thermostats that open at 180 degrees, and some that open at 195. How are you measuring temperature?

no heat

I replace the t stat with one from ford they tell me is 192 or 195 deg stat, the clutch fan is new and does disengage, I also check the water pump its ok.
as I said the thermostat housing does not get above 75 deg / 182 deg.
Thank's for your feed back.
James

James, even new T-stats sometimes do not operate as they should. It really does sound like maybe they gave you the wrong one, or that the one you have is not functioning properly. The only way to be relatively sure is to test the thermostat with a meat/candy thermometer in a pan in the stove... If it's opening at 180+/-, then it's not a 195.

well...

Not to overburden the Hippie mind with the obvious, my MEANING is that occasionally, they put the wrong SPRINGS in there.... kinda like your head.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I know I know, the prior part of your post made sense but... I was just making fun of the fact that you basically said "if its black, then its not white"

Thank you, Captain Obvious :D

James

What are using to measure the temp? Are you sure it is reading properly?

Did you try measuring the temp of the coolant at various locations such as the top of the radiator, water pump neck, heater core etc. to see if all the different locations correspond? Are you sure that there are no air pockets in the system?

If you rev the motor does the temp reading change?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts