Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Empty DEF consequences....

Granted, if one allowed his fuel tank to go empty the truck would not run either, but it seems to me pretty lousy a bad sensor would leave you in idle only mode. I really don't know how much I like that idea..... Guess the emissions control trumps vehicle reliability.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Granted, if one allowed his fuel tank to go empty the truck would not run either, but it seems to me pretty lousy a bad sensor would leave you in idle only mode. I really don't know how much I like that idea..... Guess the emissions control trumps vehicle reliability.
Don't work like that. The "sensor" in question is like a fuel level gauge, even if it suddenly said empty, the PCM would see a discrepancy and give you plenty of time for resolution.

What about the validation that the tank contains DEF vs something else or does the PCM use the pre/post SCR sensors to determine that?

blacksnapon

Staff member
What about the validation that the tank contains DEF vs something else or does the PCM use the pre/post SCR sensors to determine that?
Its a NOX sensor (post SCR). At this time, the only thing I'm seeing is problems up north (Canada north). They'll get a Nox sensor problem, but it doesn't affect power.

It seems to me that there is somewhat of a financial benefit to using DEF vs not using it and the result being fuel economy similar to the 6.4L therefore the operator should see that benefit and choose to make use of the SCR system vice having an EPA mandated truck shutdown. For me that is overly onerous. This is mostly rooted in principle with me.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts