Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Don't know Jack

I wanna get a new jack for the truck. I'm replacing the power steering pump in a couple days and would like to get the front wheels off the ground so I can bleed the ps system.

I rarely ever find the need to raise the truck up so I'm not really interested in some sort of giant xtra heavy duty floor jack taking up room in the already crowded garage. And I already have a set of hd jack stands capable of holding the truck once it's up.

Surprisingly, the original bottle jack is still in place under the hood but I don't really trust it given its age and total lack of use... so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good quality replacement that I can either replace the original with under the hood, or if a different style, not too cumbersome.

Thx.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
If you lube up that old mechanical jack under the hood I'd trust it a heap better than a new one. They don't leak off.

However, I did recently purchase a Pittsburgh 3 ton floor jack at harbor freight, they are often on sale for less than 100 bucks. Been ok so far, had it a few months. The handle has a quick release in the middle for easy storage. I wouldn't trust it to lay under, like any jack.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Maybe a bottle jack from your local hardware store.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Like the above 2 post stated

You do know that "bleeding" the power steering consists of starting, re filling while running first started, then turn the wheels back and forth, no jack required, right?

Like the above 2 post stated

You do know that "bleeding" the power steering consists of starting, re filling while running first started, then turn the wheels back and forth, no jack required, right?

Ya...If I were just flushing the system and not replacing any parts I likely wouldn't bother to raise the wheels; but since I'm replacing the pump and both the lines I know there's gonna be a fair amount of air in the system initially and in my limited experience anyway, getting true full lock to full lock is a lot faster and easier on the components and me, if the wheels are raised.

Plus I should probably just make sure I have a functional jack for safety/emergency sake anyway. I'm gonna look at the state of the original and may do what I can to make sure it's serviceable. Otherwise I guess I'll just look at bottle jack offerings at Napa for something of a comparable size and weight rating.

Thx for the tips peeps.

Spynn

Wrench Wench
I picked up a 4 ton bottle jack from Napa, maybe about $40, could've been on sale. With a pair of jack stands and the fact I can fit under the truck without lifting it, I'm completely comfortable as long as the tires are on and have air!

Ford Truck Articles