Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cummins to an Ecoboost?!

Hey everyone, im new here and I would like to say hello!
I would like everyones thoughts on possibly switching from a diesel to a gasser....Heres what I got....I have a 2005 2500 5.9 cummins Big Horn with 156,XXX on the clock. The truck runs great, for now....so far I have replaced the tranny, hubs, upper and lower ball joins, tie rods and a couple brake calipers the truck has some hail damage and was keyed down the drivers side from the front fender to the bed and I have a few little rust spots starting to show up. I don't tow much, maybe 5,000lbs during hunting season and that's about it. I love the motor but ive been considering whether or not to keep it and drop some money into it to have someone do a once over to it to see if there is anything else that needs to be replaced on it, fix the hail damage and get a new paint job on it to make it a little less of an eye sore....OR do I take that money, trade my truck in and get a gasser, which ive been looking more of a newer F150 ecoboost....everything ive read, they have the most interior room and have plenty of power for what I need and decent economy for a truck.....I guess whats holding me back from just doing it is that I have one of the best, if not arguably the best diesel motor out there and I don't have any emissions to deal with and ive had the truck for 6 years now so I have a lot of memories with it......if you were in my shoes, what would you do and why?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm the kind of guy that keeps trucks, so I get where you're coming from...

My uncle and I drove his 2012 F-150 EcoBoost most of the way across the country, and back, a month ago. His previous truck was a '97 or '98 Ram 2500 with a Cummins; I drove that one a few years ago but not anywhere near as far.

That F-150 sure is a nice truck. Comfortable, fast, quiet.

Three of us drove it from Portsmouth, NH to Laramie, Wyoming (~2100 miles) in two days, nobody found it uncomfortable. Mileage close to 20 mpg overall; over 20 if we could keep the cruise below 72 or so.

Dunno what transmission is in your Dodge; I don't like automatics but the six-speed in the Ford is a good one for a self-shifter. Does it's thing more or less seamlessly, but easy to tell it what to do when you get into the mountains. Light-years ahead of the automatic in Mike's old Dodge, but I suspect yours would be a generation or two improved.

I dunno what I'd do in your shoes, but without any sentimental attachments either way, I'd throw my money at an F-150 EcoBoost over a nine-year-old Cummins, because I think the Ford would be easier to live with.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
We have an Ecoboost in a 2010 Lincoln....55k miles, 5000# vehicle....no issues, returns a solid 20 mpg (US) with mixed driving.

Have a few friends with the truck version and they are very happy..one guy is pretty much maxed out with the tow package, which he uses half a dozen times per year and he has no complaints....it does use fuel when maintaining 70 mph with a bunch of weight behind it...but that is to be expected.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That sounds like a fun project idea.

The questions (that I don't have answers to) that start to pop into my mind are "What sensors does the Ecoboost rely upon to do its job?" and "How does the ecoboost work together with its transmission, and can that be circumvented if you want to use a different transmission?"

These modern motors are highly electrically complex pieces of engineering. Anything can be done, but that's probably where your homework needs to start.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ryan, I think he's talking about buying a new truck, not dropping an EcoBoost into his Dodge...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts