Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant filters for our trucks?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Does anyone know if they make a coolant filter that would work for our trucks?

Got the idea from Goose's truck and didn't know if anyone has see them for ours.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I dunno, your talkin about a guy that relocated his oil filter just cause they make a plate to do it! LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
oh and I thought if I had alot of mud and such in there that I couldn't flush then maybe it might catch it all.

Fellro

Staff member
Is it really necessary on a gasser? I thought the casting sand was a diesel thing...
That happens on all motors...considering sand is used to cast all the blocks, unless it is billet...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That happens on all motors...considering sand is used to cast all the blocks, unless it is billet...
Yeah that makes sense to me... I've just never heard of any gasser guys using them, so I figured it was a diesel only sorta thing...

Fellro

Staff member
There are a few reasons diesel owners pay more attention to it. The diesel combustion produces more heat, so the sand sediment will make hot spots in the block, and then cracking can follow. The other reason is cavitation, with loose sand in the coolant, the vibration of the diesel ignition will make it work like a sandblaster, it does it with water, so it definitely will do it with sand.
However, for a gasser, you also will get hot spots at the bottom of the coolant jacket, which can cause the block to heat unevenly, and cause the casting to shift over time. Also, a filter is a good thing for any corrosion and gunk that forms and flows through the cooling system. Catch it in the filter instead of the bottom of the coolant jacket, heater core, or radiator. I can't say how many motors I have taken the coolant drain plug out on the block that were totally covered in deposits and sediment.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah I was talking to the guys at my speed shop and they said they had never heard of anybody really having to mess with it on a gasser, so guess whats on my list of mods to get to next!!!LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
uh no, got enough tied up in this block already! LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts