Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Concerns about engine temp

Guys,
I just bought a 1997 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab Pickup 3-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated With 200K. This is my first truck and I have not owned a Ford since the late '70's and that was a used Pinto. When I got the truck, The dealer had rebuilt the engine because they blew the head gasket and cracked the heads, They also replaced the front suspension, because the ball joints were bad.
Anyway after driving it over an hour the Temp gauge never go's over the lowest cold mark on the gauge, and that concerns me.
I checked the gauge and when I unplug it from the sending unit and jumper it, it go's to full hot, so I know the gauge and wiring are Okay. I changed out the sending unit with a new one from AutoZone. and still giting the same reading.
Is this normal for a 1997 F-150 with a 4.6L? I don't want to have another head gasket blow.
Thanks,
George

blacksnapon

Staff member
Guys,
I just bought a 1997 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab Pickup 3-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated With 200K. This is my first truck and I have not owned a Ford since the late '70's and that was a used Pinto. When I got the truck, The dealer had rebuilt the engine because they blew the head gasket and cracked the heads, They also replaced the front suspension, because the ball joints were bad.
Anyway after driving it over an hour the Temp gauge never go's over the lowest cold mark on the gauge, and that concerns me.
I checked the gauge and when I unplug it from the sending unit and jumper it, it go's to full hot, so I know the gauge and wiring are Okay. I changed out the sending unit with a new one from AutoZone. and still giting the same reading.
Is this normal for a 1997 F-150 with a 4.6L? I don't want to have another head gasket blow.
Thanks,
George
First thing to do would be to change the thermostat (195 degree or thereabout)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts