Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Compressor running when not turned on?

I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought. Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping
with water...

Sorry the pic is so huge. I tried to reduce it. If you get over to the middle of the picture and go down you'll see a pipe with a white box around it.

guXcMJM.jpg

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only. The defrost or a/c function was not selected. It seems
to be doing it consistently. I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and
sweats. Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected? What tests should I run?

Last edited:

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Very courteous of you to update. Thanks.

Never A/C'd on a Taurus myself, but on the trucks it's common that the compressor runs any time air to the defrost vents is selected, including mix. The A/C pulls moisture from the air, and keeps the windows clear. Possibly the same rationale on your car.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
By design, compressor engagement is possible in all positions other than vent, floor and off.

Ford Truck Articles