Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Charging Issues

I have a 79 bronco and im having a issue with the charging system. I was told that part of the charging system runs through the gauges, it that true? Because if so i dont have my gauges in and thats my issue

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
As far as I know, the only portion of the charging system that has anything to do with the gauge cluster is the charging indication(ammeter) which uses a pulsed 5 volt signal from the instrument control voltage regulator.

I would think having the gauge cluster pulled would not affect the charging system.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Can't think of any reason why not having the ic in would matter... Doesn't have a flow through ammeter...

What kind of charging issues are you having???

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Doug....you might want to start with checking all connections from the battery, alternator and regulator.
Battery cables (as with others) can look good, but corrosion can creep up between the copper and insulation of the cable an create problems.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
x2 I can confirm what Doug has posted...Only if the cluster wires were cut from the connecter..then it would not charge.(this was my case)

what gets me though is before i took out the gauges i never had a problem.... And now i have a new alt. and volt reg. but still not charging. I can put a jumper wire from the top wire on the volt reg.(green wire) to the pos. side of the battery and then it kicks the alt. on. but i have to do that every time i crank it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Saw this happen oncE on an s10 blazer. Have you tried plugging gauges back in to see if the charging system works again?

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Thats weird, but there has to be something there because on my 77 when i have a lot of electrical load on it (IE Fan, lights, etc) my gauges (all of them) read higher then normal....

My 83 used to do this same thing to....kinda nice turning your headlights on and gaining 1/4 tank of gas :rolleyes:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts